Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Hollywood is such an exceptional tree! Dark purple leaves, small size for a semi-dwarf, and sweet/tart plums with blood-red interior! Would be beautiful as a front yard specimen in city gardens.
IMG_1031
IMG_1029

6 Likes

yeah, Hollywood should be in every front yard. when I got it I thought the fruit might be nothing special and people maybe like it for the foliage. no, it’s both tasty and pretty. I did notice it was low vigor compared to others, that lines up with your tree being small

1 Like

Sweet Treat Pluerry in Seattle areas.8.13.22 excellent tasting fruits. Gardeners must have.

6 Likes

Is anyone in Washington state growing any selections of Vitis rotundifolia (muscadine/scuppernog)? I’ve been wanting to trial some, but the legal restrictions currently surrounding importing any Vitis into the state make it challenging to acquire unless it’s from stock already in the state.

1 Like

those look great. I had a big crop of sugar twist pluerry this year but they were terrible, watery and split.
I think the tree sucked up too much water (even though it’s in the same watering regime as plums that did fine on water). Next year I’m going to try water restriction, if nothing changes it’ll get grafted over

1 Like

Lucky we don’t have rain until September. I like the fruits ready to harvest before raining season.

1 Like

yeah, it’s easy to withhold water, just adjust the irrigation timer. rain isn’t gonna screw it up. so I hopefully can salvage this next year

I ate a few flavor grenade that had bird pecks (I knew they’d rot instead of ripen if I left them). this is way early, they shouldn’t be ready for about 2-3 weeks, they were hard and only about half colored. they were still awesome! one was even crunchy and it was still good. not the sweetest but the flavor was already there and the sourness was at a nice level. amazing

I have flavor grenade as santa rosa+38 and I’m still waiting on satsuma (+23), that’s how early I ate these

1 Like

Your areas must be better heat than Seattle areas. So fruits should be tasting better and Pawpaw and persimmon might do well down there as well.

Hi Chris
How can you tell online what stores are carrying them?
Dennis

Adara scions available for summer grafting!

I Need a local grafter who can use them soon. I need to cut some Adara to do summer grafting on several trees. I have a fair number of potential scions that vary from 3/16” to 3/8” thick. They are very useful to convert other stonefruit trees to accept any variety of plum or pluot. Let me know if anyone in this region can put them to use. I would rather give them away than waste them.
I have been using them to convert my sweet cherry to plum, but they can serve even more purposes as an interstem. For summer grafting you must be able to use them within several days of cutting. I can wait a few days to fit your schedule.
Dennis
Kent, wa

• List item
1 Like

Getting figs ready for freezing.

@ramv Have you tried partially dehydrating the figs prior to freezing? Not only do they take up less freezer space, but they stay soft and chewy when frozen.

2 Likes

You mean pluots? I was at my local Co-op today and they had Flavor King. Had to buy just one. It was great. My local Safeway carries only 1 pluot and it’s not even identified. Seems like Co-ops carry more varieties of pluots than standard grocery stores.

Johann, too much work. I have too many figs and too little time.

Pawpaws are starting to swell. I have exactly a dozen fruit

3 Likes

I will look around to see if I can find some this week. Does your coop have a name, I have Flavor King scions growing this spring so maybe I can taste som in a year or so. Does your coop actually ID their varieties

Hi Dennis,
Were you able to acquire the actual ‘Adara’ cultivar or are these scions from the volunteer P. cerasifera you found growing near your home? (‘Adara’ is a select clone of P. cerasifera, but not to be applied to any P. cerasifera other than the select clone given that name).

I have both, I bought 3 Adara grafted onto Livel Peach rootstock. These have grown vigorously and now I need to topwork with my plum varieties, so if you know someone who can use them I have plenty now
Dennis

2 Likes

Should say Lovell peach rootstock

Hi Dennis, I can definitely use Adara. I am trying to convert a beauty plum to European.
However I am unsure if the green grafts will take so late in the season. I am happy to try though.