Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Good to know. What do you intend as a pollenizer- Santa Rosa? Shiro?

I’ve used those,plus other Plums and Pluots.

1 Like

the first co-op 32 “pristine” apple (red delicious -60) dropped the last few days. we let them ripen till they drop, I think they’re better that way

tried the first sugar twist pluerry. good but not ready yet (dwn has it about santa rosa -10, I think it’s more like -5 or maybe even +0). with the heat we’ve been getting I think the later season stuff is getting back on track with last year’s harvest times

Several persimmon varieties are holding fruit for the first time.

Morris Burton

JT-02

Kasandra

H63A

7 Likes

Got some of the weeds mowed back. This is my Rubinette espalier that I thought was badly girdled years ago. I tried sloppy inarch grafts that didn’t take, but the tree recovered anyway. This is several years later. I’m considering a 2nd tier, and that’s why I’ve allowed a vertical shoot in the middle.

It got watered when I harvested the black currants. With the heat, and that water, its put on aggressive growth.

4 Likes

had my first nanaimo today which would put it more or less with redhaven or slightly earlier. my guess of redhaven+1 is probably about right. not the greatest but I think it was picked too early (a squirrel smelled it and sent it to the ground)

1 Like

Nadia cherry plum harvesting for making jam.

14 Likes

Beautiful color!

2 Likes

I enjoyed the video. I shared it with my daughter, and pretended I knew what your were saying :slight_smile: , at least for a little while.

1 Like

I picked a little under a gallon of fruit and used 3 lbs of it to make some jam. It’s good, but my daughter and I both prefer the Beauty + Nectarine, and probably straight Beauty as well, although we haven’t made any of that this year.

6 Likes

my black ice plum has put on alot of growth since planted early may. hopefully i get to taste them next season. ill have to graft a pollinator early though.

Good weather for my rusty DIY dehydrator! I do plums, pears, apples, and figs this way. (Bring in at night and continue in elec dryer on low till morning.) Gets up to 135F.
Figs are the best, followed by pears, plums, and apples. I tried raspberries one year…dried to dust but what a flavor punch!!
IMG_1020
IMG_1021

7 Likes

The huckleberry cuttings I started in November have rooted beautifully now. For a while I was worried that they wouldn’t root

2 Likes

@horna What huckleberry species did you root?

1 Like

Evergreen huckleberry. The reason I did this when you can’t walk 15 feet without tripping over an evergreen huckleberry bush is because the parent plant had berries that were a full centimeter across

4 Likes

Amazing. I’d love to see pictures when they’re in season. Sounds clone worthy for sure.

1 Like

Are you in the US? I’d love an evergreen huckleberry with large fruit.

This is a picture of the large berries

This is the bush this year

This is it last year after most of the berries were picked

This is a different plant that I also rooted

8 Likes

Good work. Hopefully after your initial success in rooting clones of this you’ll be able to do more this year. There are a lot of native plants that would benefit from having select forms (like this) identified and proliferated.

7 Likes

had my first suncrest (redhaven+9) and frost (+5) peaches. frost was better than last year, it colored a little and the fuzz wasn’t as annoying, and not as watery. suncrest is still better. first hollywood plums (santa rosa +18) and satsuma plums (+23) too, both awesome. hollywood is my first freestone plum of the season, sweet+sour flavor, complex. satsuma is still my favorite fruit of all. I’m picking the plums too early but they’re great

3 Likes