Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Does it look look like this?Ripe-and-Cut-Dessert-King-Figs-
These are Desert King and a great producer around here. Or maybe something different?

4 Likes

This is all on a city lot, a fifth of an acre.

1 Like

The feijoa lives in a shady spot, where I donā€™t expect to produce fruit. The uniquely delicious edible flowers are more than enough reason to grow it.
I looked up Vial Farm just now. Definitely worth a visit.

Thereā€™s a cold-hardy citrus LESS SEEDY than the ichandrin? Let me at it!
Is it a little less seedy, or a lot less seedy?

I have not yet watched Bob Duncanā€™s videos. They are in my future.

Nope, they are different. I have the desert king too. This unknown (by me ) variety produces a fig that is less of the quintessential fig shape: rounder, not as long and a green so light you might describe it as chartreuse. Inside is pale yellow with a pink center. Man are they good! The other fig I have that I really like is the nevarella. Itā€™s still young and only put out a handful at the end of its fist full year.

Sounds good! I messaged you.
Chris

Here is a link to his yuzu video:

I watched both videos. Eye-opening. I planted Yuzu because I wanted something lemon-like to pick when needed. But according to Duncanā€™s video, I can just plant an actual lemon. Mmm.

You can if youā€™re willing to Frey over her. Along with excellent drainage and a south facing wall beside the house youā€™ll also need to wrap on nights below 30. I have a greenhouse so thatā€™s how my tender citrus endure the Oregon winter. If youā€™re willing to put the time into it the rewards are pretty cool. Nothing like fresh lemons off a backyard tree. Memories of childhood that I definitely took for granted.

Thatā€™s great to hear. The main crop will hopefully ripen in Tacoma as well.

If youā€™re interested, as a trade, I can send cuttings from any of my figs:
Figs

Desert King, Olympian, Lattarula (Italian Honey), Peterā€™s honey, Chicago Hardy

I was there in early Dec. It had heard about Pineapple Guava and wanted to taste one.
They have a large hedge of them. They brought seeds back from South America so they are quite a mix. As @LarryGene said, they are one big experiment.

When they are in season (Nov/Dec), you can just swing buy, pick some, and leave the money on the porch. Here is my bowl full.

Wow cdamarjian, that is a clean set up! I was thinking of planting a Nanaimo peach underneath the canopy of some large Douglas Fir trees, where it would remain relatively dry, however your comment of just one pinhole in the sheeting will cause PLC put a dent in that idea. Thank you for sharing! My friend has a genetic dwarf peach, if it is still alive perhaps we can build a similar structure out of EMT for it.

I have 2 genetic dwarfs under cover - Necta Zee and Eldoradoā€¦and no curl. If you can foil the thrips, Necta Zee is pretty darn good nectarine for the west side.
As for PLC in Willamette Valley, your climate may be way more forgiving than mine. Even at the nearby Mt. Vernon Research Station (WSUā€™s west side planting trial area), PLC resistant trees are spayed in Nov and Feb for curl.
This is Amazon site for pipe connectors- 3/4" to use with 3/4" EMT type pipe. Some connectors are sold without eye bolts but bolts really hold the structure in place and are good for tie downs.When shopping for salvage pipe, I bring along a connector to check fit. It seems that pipe is made in wide ranging diameters that have only a slight mm difference.
Of course you could build everything out of PVC, but because Iā€™ve had so many take off in flight, Iā€™ve switched to metal.

Iā€™m up here in Vancouver area of BC, Canada. Growing a half dozen types of apples, several types of figs, plum, pears, persimmons, etc. Not to mention a plethora of berries and veggies. Cheers.

5 Likes

What plant is the earliest to deliver edible fruit in the PNW and when?

@markshancock , Mark, in 2021 I had Montmorency and Surefire cherries ripe June 20. I had thornless red raspberries, unknown cultivar, ripe June 26. Sweet Cherries (Stella, Lapin, Ranier) June 16. There were neighborhood strawberries mid June, I made Methley Plum jam July 16. My earliest figs are either King or Lattarula in late July.

Iā€™m in BattleGround WA. I have a dozen fig varieties, a half dozen peach varieties, dozens of apples varieties, various pears, Asian pears, sweet and pie cherries, plums, mulberries, raspberries, blackberries, red currants, blueberries, chestnuts, persimmons, table grapes, and of course annual fruits and vegetables. I grafted or propagated about 75 % of them maybe more.

My growing focus is on accessible methods and varieties - pruning and training, minidwarf, columnar, brachytic dwarfs, raised beds etc.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say Honeyberries and some varieties of Strawberries,that ripen in June.
Mine are the Japanese,haskap type,that a Honeyberry breeder recommended for the PNW.

1 Like

Rhubarb is used like a fruit. Itā€™s ready before anything else I can think of. It does really well here.

3 Likes

Hello, I live in Lynnwood Washington (about 10 miles north of Seattle). I grow plums, apricots, jujubes, blueberries, blackberries, tayberries, raspberries, figs and grapes.

7 Likes

If youā€™re including local native plants then it might be the osoberry, which starts ripening in late May and usually is finished by the end of June. Hereā€™s a photo of a local bush on June 10 last year:

5 Likes

there was a farm stand in Salem last year with a day-neutral strawberry ā€œAlbionā€ in the last week of May. my June-bearing ā€œhoodā€ started June 1 last year.

I planted some of my own Albion after getting the farm stand ones because ā€œdate of first fruitā€ is a really important concern for me too! even one week earlier is great

4 Likes