Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Do you have a favorite among those feijoa?

Do you give any protection to the Chilean Guava?

Haha! It is an addiction! I started on 1/16th of an acre but when I planted 2 fuzzy kiwi, I realized I was running out of space so we made the plunge.

For strawberries, I enjoy one called Whopper. It is really big and taste great but it needs to be weed free to really perform. Iā€™ll confess that most of ours are planted in one big strawberry bed and have really grown together so I have a hard time distinguishing one from another. I usually like the taste better of the June bearing than the everbearing but I have both so we can have a long harvest.

For blueberries, my favorites are Spartan, Pink Lemonade, Sunshine Blue, Bountiful Blue and Patriot. There are lots of other great ones but these have all been prolific and do great here. If you donā€™t want to fuss with soil PH, Sunshine Blue is famous for being more tolerant of higher PH than typical blueberries. Being in rainy Western Washington, Iā€™ve never tested for soil PH and never had problems. They do seem to fruit heavier with good moisture.

My most reliable peach has been Frost. I do spray and still get some PLC on the other cultivars. The best Peach Iā€™ve ever grown flavor-wise was Flavor Top but it did take a consistent PLC spray.

This reminds me that I donā€™t think Iā€™ve shared photos on here of my little Chilean guava bush after our freeze. Mine was unprotected other than any snow cover, and looks like it just got burned a little on the top bits, but plenty of healthy leaves still:

1 Like

So far, my best has been Mammoth. Followed by Cooledge and then Nikita. Nikita has been really small so far but still tasty. I have protected some of the Chilean Guava plants that are exposed in the past but nothing more than a bit of Remay. Iā€™ve never lost one entirely but I have had them cut back close to the ground. My tallest is about 3ā€™ tall and wide. I didnā€™t protect them at all this year as I had over 12" of snow so they were call tucked in under the snow cover. Anything that stuck out did get cut back but most of the bush was under cover. Even the tallest one was weighted down enough to be mostly protected. There will be some dead branches but most of the structure is fine.

2 Likes

cdamarjian, will you please share your almonds under cover set up? Does it completely eliminate PLC? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for starting this thread! Iā€™m just outside Vancouver, WA and enjoy growing fruit here. Although, after last summer Iā€™ll be using more shade cloth than Iā€™d have anticipated previously.

In my small yard there are:
Apples - Liberty, Wynotchee Early, columnar Urban Red
Plums - Bavayā€™s Gage, Early Laxton, Coeā€™s Golden Drop
Persimmon - Saijo
Fig - Olympian
Elderberry - Ranch, Nova
Blueberries - Draper, Duke, Earliberry, Legacy, Spartan
Currants - Jonkheer Van Tets, Glorie de Sablons
Lingonberries - various
Grapes - Interlaken

And more to come, eventually.

2 Likes

IMG_0770

Any under cover setup will completely protect peaches, almonds, and nectarines from PLC. Since the fungal spores need wet conditions to germinate, covering the trees between November (after leaves have fallen) and mid-May will prevent infection. But, from experience, even a pinhole overhead opening will cause nearby leaves to curl! Covering does not need to be complete, just overhead and halfway down sides.
My preferred structure is salvaged EMT-type pipe with purchased connectors to make a shed or gable structure. Structure can be covered with heavy plastic sheeting (inexpensive), bubble wrap (this fitted ghouse wrap was on sale last year), or Solexx (pretty expensive). Of course, in the end, your peaches are way more $$$ compared to buying a box in July from Yakima, Washington!

4 Likes

Hi webfoots! I live in Portland, and grow:
Yuzu ichandrin, in sheltered south-facing spot outdoors
Autumn Olive ā€˜Amberā€™ (Eleagnus), though looking to rehome it
Asian Pear ā€˜Chojuroā€™, trained to Ann Ralphā€™s ā€œGrow a Little Fruit Treeā€ method. Looking to rehome it because I donā€™t have enough sun for it.
Asian persimmon Ichi Ki Kei Jiro, used mesh fruit bags with success
Desert King fig
Raspberries Cascade Delight & Honey Queen
Mystery yellow (Gage?) plum grafted to Krymsk1 rootstock and trained to ā€œGrow a Little Fruit Treeā€ size
Silverberries
Chilean guavas
Pineapple guava, grown for edible flowers, not fruit
Evergreen huckleberries
Persian mulberry
Annual veggies, self-sowing greens
Future: Maybe grapes

3 Likes

Geeshā€¦ i need 4.5 more acres.

1 Like

Do you have problems fruiting the feijoa. Iā€™ve recently learned of a farm in Hillsboro called Vial Farm that has ā€˜u pickā€™ feijoa operation. I called and they told me they grow varieties nametz, nakita, takara and Coolidge all with great fruiting success.

For your citrus are you familiar with the sudachi? A sweeter less seedy fruit than ichandrin.

Have you watched Bob Duncanā€™s videos on growing citrus in British Columbia?

Im in kitsap.
Apples, E/J plum, pluot, pluerry, asian pear, pear, persimmon, jujube, olive, sweet cherry, mulberry, peach, almonds, currents, gooseberry, elderberry, blueberry, honeyberry, raspberry, strawberry, pineapple guava, kumquat, limes, lemons, oranges, capers, paw paw, sea berry, goumi, autumn olive for nitrogen.

chilian guava, Cornelius cherry (probably butchered the spelling of these last two)

Hello I live in Vancouver Washington I grow apples, pears, plums, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, figs and grapes, will be planting some gooseberries this year.

2 Likes

Capers! I need to hear more!

I saw capers listed in Wanderlustā€™s plant catalog, but convinced myself it was one of those things Iā€™d never bother to harvest or prepare. Iā€™d love to hear success stories to convince me otherwise!

im new here and forgot this was a fruit forum - ha but I made a circle of alternating lavender and caper around my olive tree. Raintree and OGW sell them or at-least sold them. I planted them this time last year. Little things. They didnā€™t grow that great but they did flower. hoping they take off this year and maybe next year they would be big enough to try to harvest and cure. I also grow saffron - that does great here.

6 Likes

@cdamarjian Nice cover.
How tall is it?
Also, do you put it up and take it down each season?

Itā€™s 4x4x9ā€™. Iā€™ve attached grommets to bottom edge to wrap to frame. Can be taken down in Mayā€¦ But have to keep branches tied up to fit!

SE Portland. Quince, feijoa, rhubarb,and caneberries.

Hello, Iā€™m Paul from Willapa in SW Washington near the coast and Willapa Bay. Iā€™m trying to establish a somewhat modified food forest with fruiting trees and shrubs scattered over a 15 acre area surround by timber forest land and bordered on two sides by creeks. My emphasis thus far is heavy on apples, plums, figs blueberries, grapes, and persimmons along with several other odds and ends. My intent was to share with friends and wildlife, but the wildlife donā€™t seem too keen on sharing. I am particularly interested in apple varieties developed by Albert Etter and have obtained several thus far. It seems that a regional forum could be really useful.

have you considered some pomegranate. there are varieties that do well in the Willamette valley. It really depends how close to the coast you are. If you are too close for pomegranate you are probably close enough for yuzu to be less impacted by inland cold. As far as figs I have clones from the most prolific producer Iā€™ve ever seen in Oregon. Itā€™s a green fig when ripe and yields thousands of figs. The tree is very old and about 20ā€™ across. I have 20 clones for people if they want them.