Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

https://nwfruit.org/winter-field-day/

I look forward to this Winter Field Day in Mt Vernon. WA each year! The 7-acre site has just about anything that will grow in northern Puget Sound. Great selection of scion wood. Many varieties of rootstock.

These are their scion wood and rootstock lists from last year:

Apples

Ananas Reinette Arkansas Black Ashmead’s Kernel Autumn Crisp Belle de Boskoop Bramley
Celestia Chehalis
Dayton
Elstar, Daliest Freyburg Golden Russet Gravenstein Hatsuaki Honeycrisp Jonagold Jonared
Karmijn
Liberty
Melrose
Mother Newtown Pippin Niedzwetskaya Nutmeg Pippin Roxbury Russet Rubinette Scarlet Ohara Spartan
Tsugaru, Homei Wealthy
Williams Pride Winter Banana Wolf River
Yellow Transparent

Pear, European

Abbe Fetal Bartlett
Bosc
Comice
Doyenne di Juliet Klementinka Leonardo Moritini Onward
Orcas
Rescue
Rosata Moritini Russetted Comice Spalding Starkrimson
Suij

Plum

Blues Jam
Cocheco
Early Golden
Gros Ameliorat Hollywood Imperial Epineuse Kuban Comet Mirabelle de Nancy Obilnaja
Seneca
Sweet Treat Pluerry Valor
Victory

Almond

Halls Hardy Reliable

Cherry

Danube
Early Burlat Emperor Francis Hartland
Lapins Sweetheart White Gold

Quince

Aromatnaya

Pear Cross
Shipova

Asian Pear

Atago Chojuro Hamese lchiban Nashi Mishirasu Shinseiki Yakumo

Rootstocks For Sale at Winter Field Day 2022

Old Home x Farmingdale 87
EMLA 27
Geneva 41
EMLA 26
Geneva 30
MM 111
Antonovka
Provence Quince
Krymsk 1
Marianna 2624

8 Likes

Well here we go again… long-range GFS model is signaling a chance of very cold weather in just over a week. This is early enough it could be wrong or at least overblown, but worth thinking about. Here’s the most recent model run, the panel for next Wednesday night:

And the “sounding” for Seattle itself shows 14°F at the surface:

Hopefully this is an outlier and not the start of a trend in the model runs to come.

4 Likes

After reading @BobVance thread, and watching the guitar montage of @jujubemulberry, I am sold on jujube. Is there anyone whom could reccomend a variety for our region? I don’t want to hastily order the variety that everyone says did bad here. Like I did with my candy heart pluerry. Thank you for you advice and input. I really appreciate hands on advice rather than the nursery sales pitch. Hope you all are staying warm. Brrrr
-Rob

Winn, I am glad I did not graft those feijoas yesterday. I took them outside as my goal for the day and the thunder and lightning said wait till later.

2 Likes

we like sihong, chico, li, and honey jar, and since you say you’re in northwest, we actually sourced many of our jujus from the northwest-- burntridgenursery which offers good-sized trees at fair prices.
incidentally, honey jar is by far the most popular despite being small-fruited. Keep everyone here posted on your juju journey :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I grow Li and Chico in the Willamette Valley. I have no experience with other varieties, but these were excellent tasting and seem very happy. I particularly enjoy the fruit when dry and pliable.Tastes like brown sugar to me. In a previous post you mentioned you raise plecos, and that they really enjoy avocado pits. What made you think to drop one of those in the tank? The warm water to accelerate sprouting? I have cory catfish and an 82 degree tank. Wonder if they’d like it if I dropped a few avocado pits into their tank. I noticed the mollies have similar grazing patterns so maybe they’ll like one too.

So far, the GFS is still showing extreme cold on Wednesday night (low teens in Seattle). Not backing down yet!

Some of the overnight GFS model runs went as low as 11°F for Seattle next Wednesday night, but the most recent one has backed off a little and shows only about 18°F. The weather dot com forecast is finally catching on that it will be cold, but still going with a slightly more cautious number:

4 Likes

I started soaking peas for planting just in time for the cold snap

I planted splash Pluot this Spring 23. Information said it performs well in our areas. Very good quality fruit as well @SnacksFromPlants Jason.

1 Like

Snow flurries here in north sound. Temp 30F.
My nectarine buds:
IMG_1568
Would you say this is the calyx red stage from the peach freeze threshold guide below?

Yes, seems like calyx red stage to me as well.

Thank you for the resource. It’s super helpful.
One category that seems to be missing is Asian plums. Does anyone if they can tolerate lower temps than euro plums?

Here’s a current stage of Satsuma plum. Low of 25 forecasted today, and 21 tomorrow night.

One characteristic of Asian Plums,is that they usually are further along in bloom,than the European varieties.

1 Like

Is there anything that you do to mitigate the damage? Wrap lights? According to this chart a loss of 10-30% seems fairly reasonable to expect. Yet another factor for me to fret over. And they say gardening soothes the nerves.

10-30% is acceptable to me.I’m sure at least that much is thinned by hand,when the time comes.

1 Like

That puts my mind at ease a little bit. My place is currently forecast to 20 on both Friday and Saturday. The last time it was forecast this low was around new years, and it only dropped to 24. So fingers crossed the weatherman is wrong again.

Theoretically, if the temp dropped to a level that caused 90% damage, would you do any kind of intervention?

1 Like

It might depend on how much I esteemed the fruit and probably,the tree size.
A way to do it is,with a cover,like tarp or something that can hold in a little heat and it doesn’t have to be that much.Then string old fashioned incandescent lamps in the branches or even a small space heater on the ground.

Thanks

1 Like

Hello fellow fruit growers! I live in Kirkland, WA and have been a long-time follower of this site and finally decided to create an account and join the conversation.

I’m growing apples, blueberries, raspberries, bush cherries and grapes. I also have a Yuzu that’s been fine through the last 3 winters (grown a lot, but hasn’t produced any fruit) plus a Meyer lemon and a Bearss lime that do produce well, but also keep trying to die.

I planted a Seneca and a Geneva Mirabelle plum last year - but the latter died after the crazy heatwave we had, so now my Seneca is without a pollinating partner :frowning: I’ve never tried grafting, but thinking about taking the plunge this year.

What’s the best time to graft plums in the Seattle area and which variety do folks recommend (my preference is for disease resistant, sweet, freestone plums for fresh eating - leaning towards either a Mirabelle plum or a Green gage)?

4 Likes

February and late-winter daily snow record for Portland, 22 Feb 2023: 10.8" at airport station KPDX.
In the city, where people live, 6-8 inches was common.

This is also #2 monthly total for February, more snow in forecast, possible to beat 1949’s 13.2".

Our winter average is under 5" and the % of snow occurrence for 22Feb was 2%.

Nearby Washougal, WA, reported 17 inches, this is in Murky’s neck of the woods.

2 Likes

We only got a bit here in Seattle, and it melted fast. I’m happy that the low this morning was only around 24°F, not 10 degrees colder like the models were threatening a few days ago.

It’s glorious and sunny today, my greenhouse already is +30°F, closing in on 69° in there.

2 Likes