Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Waaa- low last night 18F - time will tell re: peach/nectarine buds.
Greenhouse pumping out the heat…have opened door to house to share some of the warmth!

2 Likes

European plums are generally more cold hardy than the Asian types. Many of the Asian plum types contain other genetics from European or American plum species. There is probably some variation between varieties, but I expect most Asian plums will fall between Apricot and Peach for flower hardiness.

2 Likes

We had 18F the last two nights. I covered my Tree Collards and Meiwa kumquats. We’ll see.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

John,
Are your Meiwa kumquats planted in the ground outdoors?

In oak half barrels. For the New Year’s freeze, I wheeled them into the garage. THis time, I covered them and left them out. We’ll see.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

Got down to 22.5°F last night, even though the night before was supposed to be the coldest night, but it’s already above freezing (35° and rising fast) this morning.

It’s really been a rough winter for my avocados, but a few of them seem to have pulled through with only minimal protection despite being only 1-2 years old. Hopefully this is it for hard freezes, I’m ready for spring!

4 Likes

I am in Hazel Dell, just north of the city of Vancouver, in WA.
Yard n Garden got a lot of starts in for herbs and veggies, but I am no California transplant…I know better. I got just some pansies and put them in a planter far from the wind on patio and they are doing good even with 17 degrees at night.

The patio planters close to the edge had lots of snow, which didn’t hurt a bit what is in them. My English thyme is hardy, and I can see a lot of my flowering bulbs starting to come up. Also the pineberry plants around the apartment are happy having taken over, so this doesn’t hurt them as they do not flower for quite some time.

I have a blueberry on the patio in a planter and it still is alive, no buds broken yet.

I see possible traces of snow off and on in forecast for the next week. I suggest lots of prayer and wise planning to keep any of your fruits from being ruined.

So I bit the big one and ordered from Raintree some Marshall and a Holiday variety of strawberries. I have had good luck with pineberries so I figured what the heck, it’s only money…

I will let people know if they survive and what the fruits taste like, especially if they thrive and spread through next year.

1 Like

My green gage have fruit every year in North of Seattle areas. My imperial Epineuse from Raintree nursery, now 6 years old and never fruit yet. I would like to ask how old is your tree and it’s fruiting well and good quality plum? If mine not fruiting a couple years, I might remove it for different tree. Thank you

1 Like

I normally planted my bare root fruit trees in small containers (5 gallons) so easy to take care of them for the first year. When they are established good root system then plant them in the Fall season next year. The trees survive very well for me.

I forgot what you said. The Nadia fruit quality better than splash Pluot?

The success of your Green Gage and no fruit from your Imperial Epineuse sure proves the variability of experiences even in a similar zone! I’m north of you in 8A.

I’m ready to graft over all my 8 year old gages (Green, Bavay, and Rosy) since none have fruited.

On the other hand, the IE, about 40 years old, and one of the first trees I ever ordered from Raintree, has been a reliable producer from the start. Note that according to Sam Benowitz, Raintree founder, the IE that Raintree originally carried is not the same IE they now carry.

So I guess I don’t have the real IE, but, whatever it is, it sure tastes great. Can send a scion next year if you’re interested.

2 Likes

Yes I am sure. I bought Imperial Epineuse from flower world nursery. It’s different tree from Raintree. It had a lot of fruits every year and ripe early in July but the tasting so bland not sweet enough. Thank you for offering. We might trade some scions later if you interesting something I have. Thank you Christine. Vincent

Carmine Jewel, or Reine Claude Doree? I need to make up my mind before the nurseries are completely sold out. I have Reine Claude Verte, White Gold, and no pie cherries. Is there anyone who has both green gages who can compare the two? Fresh eating fruit will always be more popular than cooking varieties, but has less longevity. I would love to have Juliet cherry, but can not find a retailer that sells to WA.

Maybe 1/3 or more of my Splash get larvae or something. I cut around them, or choose the good ones. Almost all of the Nadia look perfect.

I like Splash flavor and texture much better than Nadia. But Nadia may be my most trouble free stone fruit.

2 Likes

Sounds very interesting. Can’t wait to taste my splash. Thank you Jafar. @murky

Vincent what are some of your favorite plums that you’ve grown in our area?

1 Like

@Peng I am working on some plum trees now, beside than that in my place I really like Sweet Treat Pluerry and Nadia Cherry Plum. Just started splash Pluot, sounds very promising and interesting about its flavor.

2 Likes

Anyone have experience tapping Big Leaf maples?

My neighbor showed me his maple tapping set-up. I’m intrigued!
His quart bucket was half full after hanging for 4 hrs this morning. Weather needs to be frosty overnight followed by sunny day. Today was perfect. You can see how sap naturally drips from the tree through fissures in the bark.
IMG_1595
IMG_1594
Granted the ratio is 40 to 1 for finished product, but what a great NW holiday present!

I purchased a few spiles (new word for me) to try it out!

4 Likes

Many years ago I tapped big leaf maple trees near Vancouver, BC. They produced plenty of sap, but the amount of sugar in the sap was less than what you get from sugar maples. The Web shows concentrations of 1 to 4 %, and even higher; but my experience was that it was around the bottom of that range. You’ll probably need a lot of sap to get a reasonable amount of syrup.

3 Likes