Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Copper has been used,with a sticker,the last few years.This season,Daconil was sprayed a couple times.So far,the little growth doesn’t appear infected.

I used Bordeaux treatment the first year and ziram ever since. No plc so far.

1 Like

I have been using copper on my Nectaplum and Frost peach from the first bud swelling to the pink tip phase. I use Daconil after petal fall, but before shuck split. I also use it after harvest.

Usually I don’t get much PLC after shuck split, unless I get the leaves wet. Even then, I can usually clip off the 1 or 2 twigs that are infected. I may add lime sulfur to my dormant regimen. It does not look difficult to make from S and CaO or CaOH.

A lot of people don’t want to eat that much fungicide and pesticide. There are so many other good fruit that can be eaten and grown organically here rather easily.

John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

What are feelings about heated greenhouses?

They are a bit complicated but useful. I would first make a plexiglass roof for my peach tree.
John S
PDX OR

I was thinking more about the ecological impact of the energy consumption to heat a greenhouse. Unless you can guarantee you are using ‘clean’ energy from the grid, or perhaps a direct current from a photovoltaic cell, the impact of a greenhouse might have more of a negative ecological impact than a fungicide. Of course I don’t know this for certain, I’m just doing a thought experiment, considering atmospheric heating. Likely my feelings about fungicide are more nuanced than some people’s. I’m a long time fungus admirer, eat them for dinner, eat them for journeys to inner space, yet at the same time I don’t enjoy what they sometimes do to my trees-even those that are considered ‘ok’ to grow in this PNW region. I tend to have more aversion to large scale agricultural use of fungicide than I do hobbyist use. If commercial enterprises are growing crops that can be balky in the region the amount of spraying necessary is likely impactful on the greater ecosystem. For the hobbyist the amount of spraying probably has a negligible impact. Obviously those who think in black and white terms about spraying won’t agree with this sentiment. Like I said my feelings are nuanced.

2 Likes

With all this rain, I normally would have seen a lot of disease: rust, peach leaf curl, etc. I haven’t seen very much yet, but I think it’s mostly because the seasons are running so late. That’s what happened last year, too. I am gearing up to spray some compost tea, but I haven’t seen enough yet to get started on it.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

Leaf roller aphids have just appeared on my Flavor Grenade tree. I am annoyed that I can’t spray yet. It is only like 50% petal fall.

Yeah,they’re a nasty bunch.

Looks like this weekend will be almost summer-like, I hope everyone has their “doing something outside in the sunshine” plans for Friday & Saturday! I’ll be planting some trees.

Friday afternoon, according to GFS:

And Saturday afternoon:

4 Likes

Been planting all winter. 8 more arrived today, so the planting is in full swing again. 4 more on the way, and 2 I have to make a trip to pick up this week. All plums, pluots, and plumcots going in the ground.

2 Likes

Oh I certainly didn’t mean to imply you should only plant when it’s warm and sunny, and honestly a cool, misty day is sometimes more pleasant for digging! But I just meant don’t let yourself get stuck indoors this weekend.

3 Likes

Creswell apricot update. Here’s a shot of one of it’s few flower buds. The peach orchard it is in is complete done blooming.

Puget gold in same row as reference

Definitely leafs a lot later than the Puget, but won’t know too much until next year. It is definitely much more susceptible to bacterial canker though.

1 Like

So you’re saying ‘Creswell’ hasn’t even started blooming yet? My seedling apricot just reached peak bloom this past week.

I dropped off my excess boisenberry and lemon balm and picked up some Jerusalem Artichoke from the callow seed library

1 Like

Hey @Seattlefigs I’ve come across your youtube video series on growing grapes and the different varieties that you have. I discovered your videos on grapes as I planted my first grape vines last year and wanted to know more about the varieties I have (I enjoyed your video reviews, so thanks for those!) Since I was brand new to growing grapes, I asked the guy at the nursery for any advice or recomendations on varieties and he suggested I grow Himrod as it is apparently very popular in our region and does very well here. I’m also in the PNW area (near Vancouver BC). I also planted a Suffolk Red grape and a Black Monukka grape that I discovered at my local Walmart. Have you had any experience growing either of those varieties?

1 Like

check out this osu table grapes publication:

1 Like

Im not sure what is the climate difference since you are not in seattle. The local nursery nearby to your area would probably give better recommendation. I have a friend in belleuve he grows black monukka its really big now several years old. But it hasnt fruited. when it does ill let you know what he thinks.

1 Like

University of Washington has a list of recommended varieties based on their test plots. Local universities can be a treasure trove of information.

2 Likes