Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

thats great to hear. i got 2 plants to survive under the snow and are just starting to ripen. they are loaded with fruit despite alot of canes chewed off by the voles and the cane borers tipping every new primocanes. ill put the chic. manue to them late this fall. that should make them take off good next spring. my wife just discovered blackberries for the 1st time 2 years ago and i got the green light to plant more . :slight_smile:

What variety is image 2617 in the middle?

Desert king

2 Likes

Your Italian plum looks more like Alsatian Quetch.

1 Like

Mishirasu pear seems happy here, grafted onto multi-tiered Asian pear espalier.
Raintree’s description of size and shape (… looks like a chunky European pear) seems accurate. Waiting for taste (maybe in October?). Is Raintree’s description (…very crisp and crunchy, with an excellent flavor) what others have experienced?

5 Likes

What variety of first picture Ram? Looking very good.

Peters honey. It is the sweetest fig I ever tasted. Maybe too sweet even.

1 Like

Thank you Ram.
I am successful only on Desert King Fig so far.

5 Likes

Love it. I have over 600 figs picked and distributed so far.
Birds especially crows are going crazy here

3 Likes

I just started a Peter’s Honey this spring. I’d been shy to try it because the description always says it needs a lot of heat. The texture of the flesh looks good to me in your picture.

We had our first Brunswick breba yesterday. I wanted to pick it before the spate of 100+ degree heat and wind starting today. Kind of like your 2nd to last picture except ripe and juicy through 80% instead of 40% like that one. The main thing it has going for it is size, but perfectly pleasant and very sweet.

Is yours Brunswick or Olympian maybe?

The tree I have that I labeled Lattarula but may have been Lattarola is mystifying to me. The flesh color of the breba figs is inconsistent. Sometimes amber, sometimes pink/red.

The flesh color on my Desert King is muted this year too.

Which breba have you liked best so far this year?

My first Opal plums this year have been outstanding so far. Right now, they are crisp, juicy, and sweet. No sign of bitterness or astringency. There is enough tartness that I would almost compare them to Asian plums. For some reason they are ripening after green gage and rosy gage.

Our Desert KIng is pretty old. They keep growing out and up. I got some figs this year. Before, they were too high up. I’ve been trying to follow this procedure on Rick Shory’s blog. It’s hard to realize just how much you have to chop. Kind of like grapes, I guess.

John S
PDX OR

1 Like

I let some rootstock sucker branches grow up into a couple small pots on one of my new peach trees. It’s growing from the root stock of my new Indian free peach I got from raintree this year. It’s in a pot until this week. I have its new location ready. I plant to cut them off and try to bud graft Salish summer to them. This is more fun to me than video games. Love it.

I also found this mullberry tree on a walk with the dog and kids. Side of the road along a green belt. It is taller than the maples around it. I did not think it was a mullberry it’s so big. The trunk is about 36” around. There are two sister trunks about 5feet apart. The berries are sweet, dark, and all my kids thought better than our blackberries and raspberries. Took a couple terminal ends to try and root. It was a lovely surprise to notice.

4 Likes

@murky mine always ripens to amber. However, it’s only this year I have been to know when to pick them for maximum ripeness. These figs left on the counter for day or two start oozing out sugar syrup, the skin is pretty much non-existent. I dehydrated a few whole and they turned out just like dried figs from trader joes. Down side of waiting that long is the figs start looking like inedible and a few will be attacked by pest.

Since Desert King doesn’t produce a main crop why not prune like this guys shows in this video.

1 Like

Is Peters honey related to Latturla/oregon prolific etc.

We have been getting a second crop here the last 10 years. Not as good though. I find it challenging to really get in the rhythm of this pruning cycle, but I’m getting better at it.
John S
PDX OR

Quite different. Practically every fig will taste like insipid sugar water after peters honey.

1 Like

Regarding pruning — it is for size control and ease of harvesting. If harvesting a large tree isn’t a problem, growing it large will produce more fruit — a lot more fruit.

Yeah, my experience with Lattarula is the skin is super thin and fragile and they get very soft quickly. Best for standing at the tree and putting in mouth. I don’t think my tree is Lattarula.