Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Looks kinda like a bald-faced hornet? Here’s what Wikipedia has to say about them:

Bald-faced hornets are omnivorous, and considered to be beneficial due to their predation of flies, caterpillars, and spiders. Their aggressive defensive nature, though, makes them a threat to humans who wander too close to a nest or when a nest is constructed too close to human habitation.

3 Likes

yep. bald faced hornet. very aggressive and they have one of the most painful stings of hornets in north America. they usually make large gray paper like nests under eaves and in big trees. the bigger nests house hundreds and will attack from a distance. ask me how i know.

1 Like

That will be nice, does it need another variety for pollination or self-fertile.

I assume it needs another pluot or Japanese plum for pollinization.

ok, I have put a order for 4-1 pluot, perhaps we can remove a variety and graft this one.

Which 4?

1 Like

The wasps that pollinate figs don’t live here. No pollination necessary, but the second crop normally is more highly valued in places with lots and lots of heat.

John S
PDX OR

1 Like

D’entry 707 French prune plum. 8.26.23
Outstanding quality plum in Seattle areas.

9 Likes

wow, looks so rich!! is it full sweet or mix with tart. How long does it take for this tree to fruit?

1 Like

They’re full sweet. I will measure the Brix next time.
It’s took 6 years to fruit and I planted to remove it so many times. Maybe because I planted it in the partial shade area, and just removed big elms tree near by last Winter. Hopefully will have a lot more fruits next year. It’s ready to harvest around last week of August to first week of September in Seattle. @Oregon_Fruit_Grow

1 Like

I just tasted my first golf ball sized Nectaplum. It is indistinguishable from a white nectarine. It measured 26.2 Brix and it the sweetest nectarine I have tasted.

3 Likes

@nil I have a nectaplum (spice zee) that I got from raintree last month. It came in a nursery sleeve and I have planted in a 5 gallon pot (picture below). It’s growing like nuts and I am thinking to put it in a larger pot. How does Nectaplum handle PLC? and does it grow like peach or plum for training purposes.

2 Likes

If yours is going to be grown in a container,why not move the tree under a covering,in the Spring rainy season?

1 Like

No PLC yet, but there was some dieback. Mine is also in a container. Most of my container trees had some dieback this year. It grows just like a nectarine, but with red leaves. The long red leaves are more attractive than red plum, IMO.

2 Likes

Hi John
The video suggested by @Oregon_Fruit_Grow is absolutely the best method to maximize the Breba crop for Dessert king in our climate. I have topped all of our DK and follow this method each year to maximize the Breba crop.
Dennis
Kent wa

1 Like

The question that comes up regarding pruning for breba is when?
I am starting this year to prune right after the breba crop to reduce tree size and therefore stress during the hot summer months. All my breba fig trees got a haircut this weekend.

1 Like

It’s my experimental tree to test H2O2 and microbial spray for controlling PLC. It’s on Viking root stock and I didn’t anticipate the vigor. If it becomes challenging to control PLC without traditional spray I might just dump the tree after two or three years.

nice. perhaps its resistant to PLC?

Yes, definitely anytime next few weeks until dormancy is the best time
Dennis