Panaché Fig

I’m not sure that Jack didn’t climb your fig tree, rather than a been stalk to reach the clouds. That’s some impressive growth!

1 Like

Currently experiencing daytime temps in the 80°s and nighttime temps in the 60°s.

1 Like

That’s Panache for you out here in our neck of the woods. It grows faster than any other fig I grow. It is on the ridiculous side.

Patty S.

The Janice Seedless Kadota to the left of it is two feet taller!!

Jeepers, glad I don’t have Janie Seedles Kadota, lol! My Ronde de Bordeaux is also about 20-30’ tall this year. Just this year. I got frustrated with no fruit on it, so I pinched every branch back. It rewarded me with lots of lovely figs, and then decided to grow like 20’ in one season. I kid you not. We can grow figs like nobody’s business out here, eh?

Patty S.

2 Likes

I heard a rumor that the Calvert fig is suspected to be a virus-infected strain of Panache that reverted back to having no variagation stripes.

Barring genetic testing however, I’m not sure such a theory could be proven.

Have you ever tasted Calvert?

No, sorry. Try checking with Jon Verdick at Figs4Fun.

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but, my first ever fig tree is a Panache. It is 3 years old and has about 50 figs on it. I’m impatiently waiting for ripening in DFW, Texas. I was startled by the picture of the single trunk pruned back to what 2-3 feet high? My tree has 4-5 trunks currently and none are anywhere near the circumference of Richards. Can you make recommendations or point me towards info about why to prune to a single trunk and why to cut it back so far. I’d been reading that people pruned back much less than that. Guide me sinsei!

2 Likes

I’ll leave it to Richard to comment specifically on Panache but you can grow most fig cultivars as a bush form or train them as a tree. It is personal preference. Some fig varieties sucker heavily and take a lot of maintenance to keep in a tree form while others don’t have the propensity to sucker. Here in the moderate climate of N. CA I prune mine back severely while they are dormant to maintain a reasonable size. Established trees easily put on four to six feet of growth in a season and bear a large crop. Without severe pruning one tree could dominate the average suburban lot and become very difficult to install bird netting.

1 Like

That tree was still in training. Notice the branch development in later photos in the thread.

Thanks. So your practice it to prune to one trunk and to cut that back yearly to the main trunk? Do you do it that way because you believe it produces better or what?

No. There are better series of pictures with discussion here

and

Hello Richard ! I’m from Las Vegas , I have a question about “panache fig” I buy 4 mounth ago, plant it, and I feel that it’s not a panache :sob:, I don’t know how to identify

1 Like

It could be. It’s very late in the year for fruit to show true color. Let’s see what next Spring’s crop looks like.

It doesn’t look like one to me. Often wood is striped. It is possible for plant to revert back from variegated to normal, but most likely it’s not a Panache. Here is mine.

2 Likes

I’m so sad :disappointed: buy 2 panache fig trees at Lowe’s

I Have to take it out befor the warranty expired…

Hi drew! My wood it’s not the same color than yours

The nursery that supplied Lowe’s provided a misleading label.

Higuero Panache is not traditional Panache.

Oh no :man_facepalming: I got 8 figs trees from Lowe’s , desert king , peters honey, corkey, 2 panache, black jack and kadota

Can you post pictures of the labels?