Paw Paw Hunting

Sounds like the problem probably isn’t sunlight. They get less sensitive to sunlight as they mature, not more. Also, see this link. These guys have pawpaw growing in a black walnut forest.

2 Likes

Bob,

Sorry to see your Susquehanna looked like that. All my pawpaws we’re grew from seeds and I bark grafted them a few years later. I didn’t any issue besides they took forever for them to grow to about 9 feet tall now after a big dose of Urea Nitrogen this April.

Tony

3 Likes

5 Likes

Are you growing a Upick pawpaws farm?

These are for seed (rootstock ) for my nursery .
Found along a river.
If I told you more I would have to… Kill you …
It’s a big river
Just saying…

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5
Hopefully someone will pick.
"U"pick ? ? ?
Hopeing it is someone else .
I am hoping I will have done my part.
And someone else will jump in there, and pick ?
Time will tell…?

There are lots of Upick apple orchard here in Omaha and they charged $15 bucks per a huge box.

You growing potted stock to graft onto?

Local sales or do you have a website/eBay?

Dax

1 Like

Yes ,to graft onto.in tree pot,
The last couple years , my nursery has been for my own use.
Soon ,this coming year or next , I will have about maxed out what I can plant here.
Plan on comercial sales in the near future
No website

2 Likes

Integration Acers customer service disappointed me this year. I placed my order before the deadline and waited a month for them to ship. I did not like the ramp crackers at all. And the PawPaw chutney was ok but not worth it. I have yet to try the Appalachian Allspice and the smoked goat cheese.

The pawpaw’s on the other hand have been fantastic so far. The first one was a deep rich vanilla flavor. The second had a recognizable cherimoya flavor but far sweeter then its southern cousin.

The second PawPaw I shared with my wife’s family. I kept its real heritage to my self until they told me what they thought it tasted like. They said it tasted like Mamey sapote, custard apple with a hint of mango. Everyone was excited to hear its plant family. One of my wife’s cousins was like show sells this I want some more now.

3 Likes

Integration Acres seems to have figured out the mystery of shipping the pawpaw. I’ve always had good luck with them.

I skipped over a day. Saturday I took my daughter to a pawpaw tasting event at Dr. Charlie West. The event took place at his home in northern NJ. About 45 minutes west of Newark-Elizabeth off route 78. The season ended last week and most of his trees where bare. Some late ripening types where yet to ripen but the actual tasting was a skimpy portion to share with 20 people. I got to taste 4 verities, Allegheny, mango, one with golden in the name and one other. He sold us pawpaw 2 for $4 limit two as he only had enough remaining for the second and third tasting event. He sells grafted trees but I think I will attempt to grow out the seeds I collected first.

We where also served pawpaw bread and paw paw icecream.

7 Likes

I was planning a trip to Red Fern Farm tomorrow, to do you-pick pawpaws. The weather has decided not to cooperate. It’s supposed to be severe thunderstorms and flooding all weekend.

If it were closer, I might still go, but a 4 hour drive to pick pawpaws in a storm is too much. I have to reschedule to the 16th, and they said they cant guarantee there will be fruit. Anyone want to guess on what my chances are of actually getting a pawpaw on the 16th, or persimmon?

2 Likes

My paw paw season was over about several weeks ago in Omaha. I would call first to see if any fruits still left on the trees before heading out that way.

2 Likes

Today my wife pulled into the parking lot @ target. My 3.5 year old daughter said yeah, grocery store, buy pawpaw. I could not be more proud.

4 Likes

@lordkiwi He sells good quality grafted trees of various varieties including the newest KSU release.

Yes, I saw them. The only place I have to grow them is the forest behind my house. I am not yet willing to take the plunge and watch them die so I will try the seeds. He estimates there is a 80-85% or better chance that seeds from good tasting pawpaw cross with other good pawpaw should yield good fruit. If not there is also grafting.

3 Likes