Paw Paw Inquiry

After reading everyone’s post about his/hers Paw Paw trees I now have the bug for planting one. My space is limited and I’m pretty sure they make a sizable mature tree, which brings me to my question. Is there a variety that only gets 6-12’? About 20 years ago I was shown what was called a Hillside Paw Paw and it was about 6’ tall and had the paw paw looking fruit on it. Does anyone have any additional information about the smaller trees? I grow other fruit but this one, I’m a complete dummy. Thanks in advance for any replies?

Paw paws are very slow growing trees. if planted in full sun they grow wide and not too tall. You can prune them at any height that you want.

Tony

Bill, you need two trees for pollination. I think Sunflower is supposedly self fruitful. Mine have grown pretty fast but only after the 2rd year in the ground, first two years were very slow.

Thanks Tony, that is good news. I just don’t have enough room to add large trees. Bill

Thanks Tiger. Looks like I will need to select two trees. Bill

I guess you could plant one and graft a second variety on it for pollination.

One more thing to consider is that pawpaw fruit best in full sun, but they are an understory tree that is photosensitive when young. It is best to develop some strategy to deal with this before you start. My plan is to grow them in root pruning containers for the first two growing seasons where I can easily move them as needed for the right amount of sun. After that, they should be able to tolerate full sun and I’ll plant them at their final destination. I know others that plant them in the final destination but construct artificial shading for the first few years.

2 Likes

I have NO idea about PAWPAW trees is this a fruit bud?

2 Likes

The bottom flower has changed from a female to a male. Brady

So they are transsexual? Seriously. I don’t know. Never heard of that even on trees…

Do you have another variety to hand pollinate?

Tony

1 Like

My pawapws have gotten tall, but never wide. They don’t take up much room at all.

1 Like

Those are two different compatible varieties. I don’t remember what kind but I bought intentionally that way.

1 Like

Pawpaws have perfect flowers,meaning they have both parts.They start out as female and then develop pollen,but by that time,the stigma(sticky green part on top of the pistil)is too mature and can’t receive.That’s why a single flower doesn’t fertilize itself. Brady

3 Likes