Pawpaw in Kansas - it's a lot of work but can be done!

I have got some Persimmon now that can be grown in many other locations on my property but the pawpaw still seem to need the water. The large asian hybrid persimmons im most interested in still elude me. @39thparallel has much success with them due to the slightly warmer and wetter climate a short distance away. Given time we may be able to find some thzt work good here. Jujube typically die here but i now have rootstock thzt can survive in this climate i got from @39thparallel. A couple of trees were hardy enough out of the hundred + planted. Soon those will produce seeds then they will be fully acclimated to the area.

3 Likes

You must be on the eastern side of the state. I watched paw paws die out of my area. Recently I got some paw paw seeds and have one sprouting so far. Hope to tuck them away in my headge row. Currently Im collecting fruit trees for mt property so recomended scion varieties for my apple and pear root stocks would be great!.

4 Likes

NE kansas but dryer and colder than kansas city, lawrence, manhattan and others

1 Like

Pest resistant pears:

Harrow Sweet
Comtesse Clara Frijs
Harrow Delight
Warren
Potomac
Hosui
Charles Harris
Mishirazu
Drippin’ Honey

Clark created this list for me.

Good luck with pawpaws.

3 Likes

@39thparallel has a perfect orchard for pawpaw with plenty of water and warmer winters.

8 Likes

My mom started this seedling for me. It’s perfect for Kansas it’s already spreading out.

5 Likes

That is nice! Looks like a great environment for them, for being in kansas. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is I built a large hill north of them to deflect the winds and backed the water up.in that spot just for them just like it’s their home. My mom found a good seedling variety after many attempts from large fruits from Missouri. I’ve tried over 50 seedlings all unique to match the Kansas climate. Had to find the right balance of Sun, land , shade , and wet and dry conditions. It’s not easy to do it but you can do it. Once I grow a few generations of these we’ll have one anyone can grow. I matched their natural habitat as closely as possible. Soon those roots will spread out excessively it’s the nature of them once they find home. 2 new plants came up from the original already. Soon a large thicket will form of what I hope are large fruited pawpaw.

4 Likes

Sounds like a plan! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Clark, (or Mike @39thparallel ) when does your family typically pick pawpaw? I am probably too late to find any this fall. I discovered a few patches of pawpaw trees a few years ago, but am never in the area when they are ripening. They are a 30 - 45 minute drive from my home, and not someplace I normally go, so I forget to check them in the fall.

2 Likes

@KSprairie

Typically mid September. @39thparallel and I were sitting on a huge patch we don’t always pick. We picked so many last time we made ourselves sick on them.

3 Likes

wow! Thanks for the harvesting time frame Clark. I’ll try remember that for next year. :wink:

3 Likes

@KSprairie

Check now anyway for pawpaw we had a very late winter I bet the pawpaw like my pears could still be on the trees. @39thparallel have you been to our secret spot?

2 Likes

If I can get away tomorrow, I will go pawpaw hunting!

2 Likes

@39thparallel has a secret spot in his back yard. He grows several named varities. It’s unlikely I can easily entice him to go out in the wild pawpaw hunting this year. Historically they have ripened September 22nd. Today is October 23rd but we had an extra month of winter.

2 Likes

I didn’t make it out there this year. If I had more time freed up. we could easily collect paw paws on a commercial scale.

4 Likes

Are all of you in the eastern part of KS? It looks like there are no wild pawpaw observations west of Wichita. Seems like a popular tree in KC though.

2 Likes

It’s a little dry for them in the western part of the state. I think they could grow there with some tlc

2 Likes

@JustPeachy

Western Kansas does not have enough water unless you put it there. My area is not really naturally wet enough for pawpaw but I can grow them beside a pond. A little persuasion they grow fine now. Yes we are in the wetter part of the state.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your efforts!

Seedlings do grow way faster in full sun though.

1 Like