Pawpaw plants listed for retail sale in the U.S. c. 5/2022

There is no technology barrier to tissue culture of Asimina or Magnoliids in general. For commercial TC propagation of any plant there are substantial costs so demand needs to be high, e.g. for an initial batch of 5,000 to 10,000 plantlets per cultivar.

2 Likes

@Barkslip
There is a old saying among graduate students in geology that “three summers of field work will often save you from an hour of research in the library”.

1 Like

My time is spent trying to find the most vigor I can…

2 Likes

Already have good mentoring on the topic thanks…
You need a root sucker from the original tree!
Tissue culture Asimina triloba by KSU of tissue from adult trees had a success rate of (0.05%).
Tissue culture from seedlings less than 7 months old had a success rate of (2%) using a blend of Gibberellins, 3 Auxins & 2 Cytokinins.
Success rate of Alabama A&M research using GMO mycorrhizae with the rooting hormones had a success rate of 8% on adult tissue.
German tissue culture of Asimina triloba resulted in top growth & new leaves but no significant root formation & 33% of tissue culture died of an invasive fungi.
Current theory is that the lateral meristem cells are Methyl-CpG bonded in a way that makes hormones ineffective!
Cornell University, successfully regenerated shoots from leaf tissue but explants callused failing to produce roots.
KSU has been working with several other universities at etiolation of seedlings via banding with black velcro in combination with light exclusion, before doing cuttings in combination with a synergistic hormone blend.
Still with limited success.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286757257_Propagation_of_pawpaw_-_A_review

Here’s an example native U.S. Magnoliid cultivar that AgriStarts has in production.

https://www.agristarts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/476/typeID/17/index.htm

1 Like

AgriStarts has also historically produced Persea (avocado, another Magnoliid) TCs by special order for commercial growers. Keep in mind the batch size is several thousand. Leftovers were sold to existing customers, 72 plantlets per tray.

The other expert TC labs in the U.S. I’m aware of are in-house operations by large wholesale propagators and commercial farms e.g. Altman, Dole, Monrovia. The latter has some Magnoliid offerings.

2 Likes

Hillbilly pawpaw site has been down for many months.

Try way back machine

1 Like

The article I wrote on this topic was accepted for publication a few months ago and will appear in January 2023.

4 Likes

Thank you will be a great help & resource for many.
However, also the sort of thing which may require increasing frequency of updates.

Diversity of Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) Cultivars in USDA Repositories and Selected Retail Nurseries c. 2022

Abstract
This study reviewed available data for Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) cultivars in the U.S. with the goal of determining genetic diversity and genomic-morphologic relationships. Ninety cultivars available at U.S. retail sites and 20 cultivars at USDA sites (6 unique from retail) in 2022 are listed. Nine genetic studies of pawpaw are then reviewed, finding 17 genetic associations among the retail cultivars. Recent agricultural, chemical, tensile, and spectrometric morphology data are also reviewed. An association with larger fruit weight and cultivars derived from ‘Middletown’ was found, but the remaining forms of morphology data were either uncorrelated with genomic data or otherwise unsuitable to determine genomic associations. A discussion of criteria for future genomic-morphologic studies of Asimina triloba is also included.

3 Likes

@Richard I know it’s an old topic but, maybe you remember who was selling scion wood/plants of Blandy Exp. Farm #30 and Blandy Exp. Farm #53 ?

@Lech
The list in the original post contains both historical and current cultivars. For a copy of the article, see:

1 Like