Pawpaw plants listed for retail sale in the U.S. c. 5/2022

Exactly what the literature has been saying for 117 years. Maybe he was a reader …

2 Likes

You don’t “say”?
LOL
I’m still laughing moments later…

It’s hilarious!

1 Like

I collected scion this spring from several very nice wild trees in my area. I noticed the buds were quite small and lacked the vigor of trees grown in full sun. Once they got started they grew fine but several stalled. Did your scion come from a tree growing in an orchard or was it the original wild tree?

1 Like

Original tree… 100%

If you would like next season I can send scion from Halvin, Danae’s and Caspian grown in full sun to see if they do better.

2 Likes

I sent a member NC-1 and (3) of Red Fern Farm’s 25-ish years of breeding to get his appx. 8 cultivars, 4-years ago. I heard from this person 2-weeks ago and (2) trees are 12’ tall. One, a kid did something to it and it’s restarting and the other is I don’t know how large. What I want to say is I told him do not sow to a container. Instead, till a spot as deep as (you) can and direct sow.

I’m now poking holes as deep as possible for seed here for future trees to graft on. Same with clonal rootstock… no more pots. But the power of seeds direct sown is incredible. Try to drive a hole for (a) single taproot at least 16-18". If you can’t go that far, go less but the difference is ridiculous to grow in pots vs. planting seeds.

Thank you @Vid
I’ve made note to contact you… best regards.

7 Likes

Many thanks to Neal Peterson, Jerry Lehman, K.S.U. and many others for their exhaustive detailed analysis of traits and well-designed breeding programs over several generations. Thanks also to those who have contributed through their discoveries of specimens growing naturally within the Asimina triloba’s native habitat. And to James a. Little, Brigham Young and the countless generations of Native Americans who no doubt cultivated the Asimina Triloba.

5 Likes

Wise counsel you offer regarding extra deep planting holes and the power of direct sown seeds.

2 Likes

Instinct has served me well.

2 Likes

Very sad news about John Brittain & that the nursery closed.
What happened with Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery inventory?

1 Like

John’s daughter used to help him in the nursery. He wasn’t sure if any of his kids would take over. He continued ‘yearly’ telling me he was retiring always - the next year…

One time I said to John, ‘I might graft two buds’. " OH NO, DON’T DO THAT!!! YOU ARE WASTING SCIONWOOD. " and he was truly upset at me…

best-regards,

Dax

3 Likes

From

Cantaluppi, C. and J. Coley. 2020. Pawpaw Cultivar Evaluation: 2007-2019. Journal of the NACAA 13.

“MATERIALS AND METHODS
One-year-old trees that were budded in the fall of 2006 at Peterson Pawpaws in Winchester, VA were manually dug at the nursery on April 23, 2007 and were
planted …”

Cantaluppi and Coley 2020 - Pawpaw Cultivar Evaluation, 2007-2019.pdf (6.4 MB)

1 Like

Needs to be cloned onto its own root system.

1 Like

A ‘good root system’/‘any’, that’s established and greater than or equal to 3/8ths an inch…

1 Like

Nope some things just don’t seem to have good graft compatibility.
Or have delayed graft failure due to gram-negative bacterial infection getting into the graft union.
Have heard claims of Susquehanna having delayed graft failure after 6 years of vigorous productive growth.

1 Like

Rootstock influence also effects fruit quality.

1 Like

The future of Pawpaw will rely on tissue cultured/cuttings propagated trees.

1 Like

TrilobaMaster @Osteen is wise & visionary about Asimina triloba future!

Once that code is cracked I hope the information is shared instead of concealed in the name of profits, at least after a little while. It would be a game changer and has been discussed fairly extensively in other threads.

1 Like

To be continued with Danae’s… and besides a root chunk of Danae’s would be a dream come true. Okay. I’m out of steam. It’s all I got on the pre-tissue culture info. Talk to Richard. He’s really smart.

Okay,
thanks