Pawpaw Varieties

Mango loves the swamp. Suzy Q: Susquehanna has distictive especially attractive leaves.

2 Likes

all sounds excellent and easy enough to do. it’s raining as we speak and I’m sure he’s already thrilled. thanks again

1 Like

Your welcome Pilgrim.

1 Like

oh good! Mango is right up next to . . . almost in . . . the swamp!

1 Like

The happy Mango pawpaw with its feet in the swamp. :frog:

1 Like
1 Like

:wink: :parrot: :pear:

Oh, I now see that you started a conversation about Poms> Thanks, I shall study it.

1 Like

Just a data point. I planted Allegheny and Tropical Treat in 2018. The location is not ideal – it’s windy, there’s a thin layer of topsoil over glacial cobble, the soil is sometimes dry, and it’s shady half the day, Even so, the trees are now ~6’ tall. But here’s the point – this year the trees seems to have flower buds for the first time. One has a bunch, the other a few.

p.s. I checked the labels. It’s the Allegheny with more blooms.

p.p.s. I’m planting Wabash and Sunflower this year. The “trees” are tiny so I don’t expect flowers / fruit until 2030. But if 1 of 4 trees produces good fruit, I’ll be happy.

3 Likes

Mine grow in deep alluvial soil. Yours grow in a thin layer of topsoil over glacial cobble, Yikes! Sometimes dry soil. Tropical treat may have problems ripening to its full potential in your locale. NC-1 selected in Ontario Canada maybe? The fact that yours are now 6 feet tall is a testament to the tree. And perhaps your horticultural expertise, or both. Thanks for the data

1 Like

Pawpaws should love your spot. Pomms unfortunately not. You are making a most valiant and admirable effort to cultivate the Pomegranates. But alas :pensive: but take heart and enjoy the poms for as much and as long as you can. How 'Bout a 'Tropical treat and KSU Chappelle to go with your Trees that are indigenous?

1 Like

Thanks Friend!! Read through it in its entirety, good shtuff!

1 Like

No, I believe I didn’t water them enough cause I’m a noob :l

1 Like

Much to learn grasshopper. :cricket:. You must endeavor to persevere.

1 Like

I should pay for my usage of this fruity forum, how do I do so? Do you have a link?

1 Like

Im new to pawpaws, but i would like to try growing them here in Colorado. I have a farmerv friend who has successfully grown mature pawpaw trees here.

What varieties are the earliest for ripe fruit?

These are the ones mentioned in one of the pawpaw books:

Halvin
Kentucky Champion
NC-1
Zimmerman
Summer Delight
KSU 27
VE-5
VE-21 ?
Fairchild
Ketter
Quaker Delight
Golden Moon
Early Surprise
Belle

Are there any others that are highly recommended for early fruit / northern climates? Are any of these easy to find? NC-1 i think is from Canada. Any others from Canada or the extreme northern areas? Any of these have no bitter aftertaste or low acetogenins?

1 Like

Halvin
Kentucky Champion
Summer Delight
VE-21
Those are the ones that I know of,to put in the early ripening group.Some of the others may be,but more people can comment about them.

2 Likes

I know it wasn’t your question but …
Fairchild and Ketter are extinct.
Zimmerman too as far as I know.

I’m not an expert on seasonality of cultivars, but some of the Davis cultivars were selected from the wild in Michigan, so they might be early: Davis, Taylor, Taytoo, Prolific, Tollgate, Lynn’s Favorite.
However these are older varieties and have mostly been eclipsed by newer ones.

2 Likes

My notes from discussions:

Early: Summer Delight (England’s Orchard KY), Allegheny, Shenandoah, Halvin, Kentucky Champion, NC-1, KSU Benson.

All available except possibly Halvin

3 Likes