Pawpaw Varieties

Since you are a Spirited Pioneering Pawpaw Pilgrim of good and strong charactachure, I hereby offer to gift you a grafted KSU ‘Chappelle’ via mail. If interested pm me a mailing address.

4 Likes

Greetings Mighty Triloba Hunter. :mammoth: Hope to attend the next festival held by you and the esteemed Tennessee Triloba Tracker. :service_dog:

2 Likes

@Osteen thank you so much. arrived today, happy and fit. I’ve got this shaded place where the sprinkler leaks a bit, so I’ve put it near. there’s the other pawpaws about five feet away (they’re about 6 inches shorter than the one you sent) so it’ll be in good company. once it’s 6 feet tall it’ll get over that fence and into the light. where it is now it’ll get only an hour of mellow late afternoon light.

the roots looked great, I used the soil in with them without messing them around too much, and broke up the ground under and around its hole before putting it in.

should I mulch or fertilize this year you think? I watered the little guy in pretty well to give him a start. they’re so thirsty! thanks again I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this, getting that package was like mini Christmas today.

4 Likes

Ahhhh… good to see that the little fella survived the transcontinental journey uninjured and is in good health. Appears jubilant and thrilled to have been returned to the Bosom of Mother Earth. He is a heavy feeder and drinker and responds well to fertilization. I would apply a liquid root stimulator solution and a top dressing of Black Kow decomposed manure or compost sprinkled lightly with wood ash. Also, I would treat weekly with blue crystal miracle grow solution, or apply a bi-weekly feeding of liquid Neptune’s harvest fish fertilizer and a desert serving of liquid Kelp. Doesn’t compete well with grass and weeds, and one must not allow his roots to dry out, so mulch is important. Also, a protective wire cage may be in order. Lastly, I accidently left the metal tag out of the package: Asimina Triloba, Graft, Scion: ‘KSU (4-1) Chappell’, Rootstock: ‘Sunflower’ X ‘Sunflower’.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum. Have your seeds sprouted?

Mango loves the swamp. Suzy Q: Susquehanna has distictive especially attractive leaves.

2 Likes

all sounds excellent and easy enough to do. it’s raining as we speak and I’m sure he’s already thrilled. thanks again

1 Like

Your welcome Pilgrim.

1 Like

oh good! Mango is right up next to . . . almost in . . . the swamp!

1 Like

The happy Mango pawpaw with its feet in the swamp. :frog:

1 Like
1 Like

:wink: :parrot: :pear:

Oh, I now see that you started a conversation about Poms> Thanks, I shall study it.

1 Like

Just a data point. I planted Allegheny and Tropical Treat in 2018. The location is not ideal – it’s windy, there’s a thin layer of topsoil over glacial cobble, the soil is sometimes dry, and it’s shady half the day, Even so, the trees are now ~6’ tall. But here’s the point – this year the trees seems to have flower buds for the first time. One has a bunch, the other a few.

p.s. I checked the labels. It’s the Allegheny with more blooms.

p.p.s. I’m planting Wabash and Sunflower this year. The “trees” are tiny so I don’t expect flowers / fruit until 2030. But if 1 of 4 trees produces good fruit, I’ll be happy.

3 Likes

Mine grow in deep alluvial soil. Yours grow in a thin layer of topsoil over glacial cobble, Yikes! Sometimes dry soil. Tropical treat may have problems ripening to its full potential in your locale. NC-1 selected in Ontario Canada maybe? The fact that yours are now 6 feet tall is a testament to the tree. And perhaps your horticultural expertise, or both. Thanks for the data

1 Like

Pawpaws should love your spot. Pomms unfortunately not. You are making a most valiant and admirable effort to cultivate the Pomegranates. But alas :pensive: but take heart and enjoy the poms for as much and as long as you can. How 'Bout a 'Tropical treat and KSU Chappelle to go with your Trees that are indigenous?

1 Like

Thanks Friend!! Read through it in its entirety, good shtuff!

1 Like

No, I believe I didn’t water them enough cause I’m a noob :l

1 Like

Much to learn grasshopper. :cricket:. You must endeavor to persevere.

1 Like

I should pay for my usage of this fruity forum, how do I do so? Do you have a link?