Pawpaw Varieties

It’s so funny I just like to

stop by the nursery looking for Lattarula fig but go home and end up with 4 Pawpaw trees.

17 Likes

I wouldn’t be able to resist those either, nice trees!

2 Likes

Vincent, mine started the same size. I planted the oldest ones in Summer 2012. They started blooming in 2015 or 2016, but the first fruits were in 2017. I hand pollinate each year. My fruiting obes were Sunflower and NC1. We have similar climates.

4 Likes

Wow Vincent, your trees are as big as mine, which I planted in 2012! I wish you luck with them! I would plant them now if you have not already, and water carefully every week or two, all summer long.

2 Likes

Your areas maybe warmer than mine. Specially my house right on conversion zone, sometimes its colder and more snow than Seattle. Not much information online but I read your report last year and @ramv saw pawpaw performs well up North of Seattle that’s why I bought them and planted all already Daniel. Thank you so much for all information and hopefully your trees do well this year. Some info said Deer resistant with Pawpaw but they ate yours? Thank again Daniel.

2 Likes

@Vincent_8B
I have very heavy deer pressure here.
I find pawpaw to be the most deer resistant fruit plants I have.
They do not eat the leaves, and won’t bother the fruit until dead ripe.
They do sometimes rub there antlers on the trunk.
They may rip the top out of a small tree just to try it.
But would spit it out and leave the rest alone.

7 Likes

Good news to me . Now at my house every thing be ok but at my other place 1.24 acres is a land of deers . They ate all others fruit trees and broke off some of them . Thank you so much for information Hillbillyhort .

2 Likes

They are all planted .

10 Likes

Those are some nice $ize tree$ :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes they are pricey but save my time a lot .

4 Likes

$160 each. Tax included.

2 Likes

For pawpaw, I think it’s worth it. My 4 years old Shenandoah is only 3 ft tall, has flowered but no pollination partner. My Mango is 5 ft tall but has not flowered.

To me, you save at least 4 years.

6 Likes

I planted quite a few pawpaw seeds today. From several sources.

Last year, I planted in July, and they came up in September…
….still several survived.

I’ve yet to plant the 10 seeds from Kentucky State University.

3 Likes

I have a Shenandoah that has a few flowers and a Sunflower with one flower this year, no flowers on the KSU Atwood. All were planted in 2016. They get half a day of shade but I do plan to cut the hedge that shades them this year. Still, they’re pretty tall. KSU Atwood and Sunflower are close to 5 feet. The Shenandoah is the runt of the three.

I’ll try to hand pollinate when the flowers open up, but I’m not getting my hopes too high.

4 Likes

My Sunflower (grafted to Mango) has one flower but it will not open the same time as Shenandoah’s. Fortunately, a very kind member sent me pollen. I hope I can cross pollinate my Shenandoah this week.

3 Likes

Interesting, on mine the flowers I was looking at on both appear to be just about to open. I wasn’t counting another bud that looks like a flower bud right on the central leader of the Sunflower. That one is tiny and isn’t going to open up at the same time as the Shenandoah flowers that are coming in. Good luck, I hope you can try your Shenandoah this year.

1 Like

Wow! I have never seen a pawpaw tree for sale at a nursery let alone the size of other fruit trees like a peach or apple. It took me 7 years to grow my seedling to that size. I have given up on grafted trees I think my climate and soil is too stressful and the grafts die. Anyways when you consider the time it takes to grow a tree it is well worth it to buy a larger tree like that, I know if I was given the chance with a larger healthier tree I would try again.

4 Likes

If the trees without flowers we might think they are some thing else not pawpaw. I bought them with a lot of flowers on it . Hopefully they will fruiting in a couple of years when their roots system getting stronger. I will keep updating here about them.

5 Likes

If they save you 5 years of growing, to get fruits, they are worth it. I would still watch for deer damage, they ate one of my tiny pawpaw trees. Our deer are blacktail deer, some different habits from white tail deer back east. I dont know if yours will fruit this year after stress of planting. If they were mine, I would pollinate them and let them bear a couple but only a couple. Those are awesome looking trees!

2 Likes

Vincent,
Any idea about who the grower is?Did the trees come with information labels?bb

1 Like