Pawpaw Varieties

I’m not addicted, but I’m not looking for a large crop, so I’m looking forward to building the experience and learning what tricks I can. If I don’t get a high yield, it’ll be fewer for the wildlife to steal or me to have to clean up. Still, I bet I tire of it before you do. LOL

1 Like

what a great idea.

1 Like

How tall are your trees? Hand pollinating fruit 8 ft up is not easy.

2 Likes

About 6-7 feet. I try to keep them headed back. You’re right though - i don’t bother trying to pollinate the upper flowers. 95% are within reach though.

2 Likes

Richard I find something very funny
to me it is so hilarious

All this talk if paw paws are self pollinating or not , and which ones are not ?

Why do they ask that
Why shouldn’t they just bag some flower clusters with a paper bag!

could also do sections of parts of tree to prevent outside pollen.

(temporal dioecious is termed for Annonaceae species, but I thought another name was associated , but forget if or what it was.)

1 Like

Possibly because “they” have only read sellers’ descriptions and online speculation.

I am NOT completely convinced (Yet)

Just saying it is a easy experiment

I mean these researchers that cross breed them
do bag the flowers to prevent out side contaminating of flowers

I always thought one part ripened a male,
and later a female became receptive on each tree .

If this is your personal experience in CA
Could there be a different insect

Speaking of sellers that do that so people buy 2 tree’s of other plants say persimmon

Yes this could also decrease sales
say someone said I already have a experience with too much fruit
well I do not need 2 trees So second guessed , ands didn’t order that is a sale lost

I guess I have the gift of Gab , but some people with other stuff explained hesitating buying materiel stuff for that reason.

(see what I mean
persimmon, persimmon
mulberry mulberry
che, che
pawpaw, pawpaw

when one of each makes a sale or a commitment to one.)

There are 40 years of published observations. What are you not convinced about?

1 Like

It has been a while since I kept up on the Publications

Any links

some of what I found interesting I read recently is triploids a 1945 article a lot of percentage of seedlings are in the study, but do not want to quote a percentage.

Edit or I’ll take your word for it until I read up on it. or search.

Edit there where some new pawpaw cultivars
I learned of less then a week ago , but not available online
Since it was a dream ( , but maybe it was available online , and need to be lead there )

Have you saw some of the cultivars in other languages
(the dream was English types though ,
but not much to the dream. )

Also Persea.

It’s not clear what you’re taking my word for.

Funny you say persea avocado

I was going to say that is it like a A or B flowering type Avocado.

I meant take your word for publications on self pollinating flowers or self pollinating since whole trees of asimina

Maybe I should have not edited .

I never mentioned self pollinating flowers, nor publications about them.

In 2003 H. Huang performed RAPD genetic tests of 37 of the cultivars that Peterson had assembled at various sites. Here is a graph of the closest relations of Susquehanna. Its parent BEF#53 was not among those tested. Distances are the values along the edges. They are the number of marker mismatches between two cultivars. The lower-case superscripts refer to sibling groups among the cultivars.

Does anybody here have experience prima 1216?

2 Likes

My friend in UK is growing one. Its self fertile but may have bitter aftertaste. I have no personal experience!

1 Like

It’s quite strongly flavored. I think it’s considered early ripening. I have to find my notes on it somewhere.

2 Likes

Hi @Jokkijr007 , welcome to GrowingFruit!

Are you here in the States, and if so do you have a source for Prima 1216 you could share with us?

Looking at the ancestry and genetic fingerprints of Sunflower, I expect Prima 1216 to have similarities to the Peterson cultivars 8-20 and Wabash.

Richard I believe @Blake sells Prima. I may have extra buds this year but unfortunately I don’t believe I am allowed to send to you in California.

1 Like

Richard, I have Prima scionwood still available $6.00 per stick (about 6-8 inches long). If you want some just PM me with quantity and shipping address.

2 Likes