Pawpaw Varieties

Pawpaw blooming.

10 Likes

Are you going to hand pollinate them to ensure fruits set?

1 Like

I actually wrote most of that post on this thread first (scroll up to post 182) and just copied and pasted onto the pawpaw fanclub page when someone wanted opinions on some varieties. I’m glad people appreciate my opinions.
I would have named myself Tony_westPA on here but there were already a few notable Tony’s on this forum already so I’d rather not cause confusion.

I will try hopefully they’re bearing fruits this year.I just relocated them before Winter.
How many Pawpaw trees you have and how big Tony ?

Flies pollinated my pawpaw trees for me.

5 Likes

At what point is the paw paw pollen not viable, when it turns that darker color?

I got a total of eight paw paw trees but the 4 multi grafted are oldest at 8 years of age. I yearly pruned them to 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide in early Spring.

Tony

1 Like

Jim,
Check out this thread. Post # 42 is when a member @misoo83 posted his video about stages of pawpaw flowers.

Pollinating Pawpaw flowers - #43 by Paperboy4828.

Also the pic of a fish head stuck on a pawpaw tree to attract flies was quite hilarious. We’ll do anything for cross pollination!!!

2 Likes

I collected and froze pollen from an NC-1 and Sunflower.The trees died a couple years ago.
This year,an Overleese is getting hand pollinated with that seed.Maybe it will work.bb

2 Likes

Good luck, hope it works.

I hand pollinated my Penn Golden pawpaw about one week ago but it didn’t look like any baby paw paws started growing. I went back to my neighbors house and got more pollen and tried again last night and I think I’ll try again this weekend. I did the same thing I did last year with the hand pollination and got 6 paw paws last year. Hopefully some take this year.

I grafted three different types onto the tree earlier in the spring and have a seedling growing next to it. The grafts seemed like they all took so that’s promising.

1 Like

My pawpaw planting about 5 ft from the house. Do you think her root be OK for the house foundation Tony?

1 Like

The taste of different varieties of pawpaw is big difference or all most the same ? How do you think about NC1 and Sunflower tasting?

Ah roger. I tried searching bit I didn’t see the that pop up in my initial search.

It’s good to connect the dots with who wrote it though. :smile: If someone was to ask you now that time has passed, would you still hold those same opinions? Any change?

I still feel mostly the same about those opinions.
I think I appreciate the flavor profile of Allegheny more, the more that I think about it. It is a great example of what I think a good general pawpaw flavor should taste like and what I would want to give to someone should they ask what a pawpaw tastes like. Shenandoah is great for introducing pawpaw to people since it is more mild and familiar tasting but doesn’t actually taste that much like a pawpaw. It is great though and I value it for it’s uniqueness and ease of eating.
Susquehanna is still probably my favorite that I tasted since I like the strong, tropical, fruity flavors that it has… but maybe Allegheny is tied the more I think about it haha. NC-1 was also a very good pawpaw, I just didn’t prefer it to the previous ones because I don’t prefer pawpaws with stronger banana-like flavors.
Maybe I was too harsh on PA-Golden but, eh… it was like a mildly bitter/worse version of NC-1. It was still good, but didn’t impress me compared to the others or even some wild pawpaws I’ve tried. I’d kill for a fresh PA-Golden at this time of year though, haha.

2 Likes

I know you asked Tony but, in my opinion, they can vary in flavor just as much as different apple varieties can. I think there’s more complexity to them than most apples. That’s just my opinion though. I know of people who think they all taste the same.

2 Likes

I like Sunflower also. It reminded of our wild soursop “Mang Cau Ruong” in Vietnam. The fruits are fairly large. I may have to thin lots of fruits on my Shenandoah and Susquehanna because both trees are loaded with flowers.

Shenandoah

Susquehanna

Tony

11 Likes

It help me a lot because I have not tasted them yet. Thank you so much Tony.

1 Like

Btw, I think you will be ok plant them at 5 feet from the house.

2 Likes

Your trees are very good size. How big when you plant them? I ordered a couple Mitchell and Pennsylvania golden from Raintree they send me just a pencil size. Maybe will take ten years to fruit.

2 Likes

Should fruit in 3 years if you are good to it.

1 Like