Pawpaw Varieties

That sounds like a winner! Is it a seedling of Shenandoah?

1 Like

Parentage is unknown, because they were dug up seedlings. It could be. Shenandoah is just a common reference point, like comparing an apple to Gala or Fuji.

2 Likes

I know that a few days ago I saw this discussed somewhere, but now can not find it. What varieties of pawpaw seem suited to deep south heat and humidity?? Extreme southern Georgia and Florida to be specific.
thanks
Mulleteer

duckworth pawpaw is in 3 forms in Louisiana (not far from New Orleans 10 or 15 or 20 miles)

I think your thinking of Arkansas 21

LSU has a lot of selections

I will email you do not want to post picture now,

I knew where some pawpaws were in N E, Louisiana
I hope he may read this below (Presley , but dought it,)

I did have a Elderly mans email wrote on plane ticket I was leaving New Orleans ,
and he was with 2 friends going tp Snow Mobile.
I accidentally brought the ticket from IL. to Florida in a hurry (and lost my wallet with it.)

If your interested I can find some ones myself, but they are wild ones
I am noit sure what to expect (I can also say a Nursery in gainsville FL. sells pawpaw)

4 Likes

Hello I’ just started using this forum after doing some research on pawpaws! I seen where you were selling and taking pre-orders for pawpaw. I live in north Florida and have tried our small natives like reticulata but have yet to try triloba. I recently planted 28 seedlings and 8 grafted . Peterson and ksu varieties. Me and the family would really like to try some so I would be interested in buying some from you! Thanks in advance!

Send me a PM pronto so I have a reminder.

I have yet to try A. reticulata. I hear it’s similar. Presumably all Asimina are edible, as in not immediately poisonous (acetogenins are another conversation). Not sure how “edible” translates into “tasty” though.

I’ve met a few people who have tried southern Asimina species. One of them told me that the northern A. triloba tastes better (they have only eaten Davis and I think Shenandoah if I remember correctly). I don’t know if this is because A. triloba is inherently superior or if it’s because A. triloba has been so heavily selected resulting in distinct cultivars. A. reticulata and other Asimina species have not been selected in the same manner or undergone the same amount of artificial selection/breeding efforts.

I think? that other Asimina don’t get as large as A. triloba though. @TrilobaTracker is that right?

2 Likes

Thank you! I will PM you! We have a. Reticulata growing everywhere. I can’t speak on comparison to a. Triloba but I can say they are very small ,mostly seed about the size of an average adult thumb and are very tasty if you can get one before the animals. Alot of banana flavor! I can’t wait to try something with more flesh.

Either I’m really bad at social media or I’m not allowed to PM because I’m so new! The bot says certain features are not allowed because I’m so new I’m assuming PM is one of them! Maybe I can get a young family member to help Me! Thanks again my friend!

The system does not allow new members to pm. This is to avoid spammers. You need to “earn” your membership status by reading the forum for a while. There are many topics that could interest you including other pawpaw threads. Hope it will be worthwhile for you to stay.

1 Like

@JustPeachy Yes the southern Asimina are very small fruits and generally not palatable according to what I’ve read and heard from Neal Peterson who has been crossing them with triloba for years.

Hello @FloridaFrugivoreFami !
Interesting that you find A. reticulata to be tasty. If you think they are good, you will likely be blown away by triloba :exploding_head:

1 Like

@TrilobaTracker I wouldn’t consider them on the level of cherimoya but they are pretty good! You guys are getting me really excited about a.triloba . We love sweet fruits! The sweeter the better!

@JustPeachy According to @TrilobaTracker im unable to PM because my account is new! Hopefully I will be able to soon!

2 Likes

You’ll get notices as your status increases. Just keep reading the things that catch your interest and joining into conversations you wish to participate in. The search function is a great way to find questions already answered, and likes are not only appreciated by those who made good comments, but also recognized as participation by the algorithms. Welcome aboard.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! I’m glad I finally found a place for addicts like me!

2 Likes

I have a new Mango . . . one year old. And a Susquehana and Allegheny (I think). No fruit yet from any of them . . . :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I am in 7B. This year we had lots of blooms . . . but don’t see any fruit set yet.

4 Likes

I loaded up my trees with roadkill plus old banana skins and even spent a few hours hand pollinating. Early results very discouraging. So I’ll keep hand pollinating as long as I can find pollen and female stage blossoms. Not finding a lot of pollen, maybe blossoms haven’t changed sex yet or my trees just don’t produce much pollen for no apparent reason.

1 Like

I spread sugar on the base of the tree and on top of flowers to atract ants and the fiber of our juices on the base and trunk of tree to atract flies… i get good results from several years. My two adult varieties are of self fertile sunflower.

4 Likes

@Luisport

1 Like

I’m addicted to hand pollination so I don’t bother with any attractants.
Some day I’m sure I’ll tire of it and we’ll see how well the pollinators do on their own.

6 Likes

Kindly describe how you do it, collect pollen first, what kind of brush to use, can the Pollen be stored in refrigerator ? Kind of trying to have a best practice for hand pollination.

Is there a good link on site and another thread or you tube lick etc. Thanks in advance.