Pawpaw Varieties

Light is actually counter productive for the type of yeast symbiosis which needs to be happening during germination.
Light is not needed until seed leaves emerge from the shells.

3 Likes

I’ve got tall tree pots (small ones) and a heat mat, peat, DE chunks and some pine straw, and bark mulch to mix up for them. It’s only in the 50s/60s here average so they will be in the windowsill until they either sprout up or the weather warms. It’s a shaded window, so they will not be getting any direct light until I
see some leaves. I am very excited to start from seed with these!

I’ve set up one or two of each here, and have the rest in shallow pans indoors near warmth. these heat mats run all the time and the seeds are up at the top of each deep cup. on the right you can see all the tall pots I had left, those are on a mat too. I hope it’s warm enough to get them started. the light you can see in this picture is the most this area of the porch ever gets, it’s shaded by the house almost all the time. everything is peat and bark with a layer of the optisorb on top to keep it damp. one is clear so I can see. I opted for the porch since the cat may knock them down indoors, it’s her “spot” in the window.

wish me luck

2 Likes

When first growing them,I was a little surprised to see how long the taproot is.Even in some 2 liter plastic bottles,the root hit the bottom of the containers and circled a few times.

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye on the clear one, and if I see that one hit bottom, I’ll cut the bottoms off everything and get them in taller pots.

Most people say a 14"+ pot is what you want.

the taller black pots are 12" and two are 16"so those should be ok

1 Like

Anybody know which varietal ?
Article didn’t say.
I’m wondering if photo shopped???
Those would be very massive seeds if real pic.

4 Likes

Based on the size my best guess would Potomac based on size. It can occasionally exceed 2 lbs.

4 Likes

William Osteen suggested “Mammoth”.
It seems to have very firm flesh too.

1 Like

Could be. I’ll let you know in 3-4 years :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This is one of those situations where I ask myself - is there a point where it’s too big? If I can’t finish one in a sitting it’s getting to be a different style of fruit. For instance, if I can’t eat an entire apple at once then it becomes a cooking only apple and has to be a good one for that purpose (only one example but you know what I mean). For something like this, you’d either have to share or process it to make it worthwhile to grow such a large fruit!

I know there are humans alive who can eat a 3lb hamburger but I don’t think I’d want to attempt a 2lb pawpaw…

3 Likes

ROTFLMAO
If we are going to de-extict the dinosaurs,
then we need something to feed them.

3 Likes

one showed signs of green. the tap root was healthy, about 4"long! I did move that guy to a taller pot immediately. all his dirt went with him

I’ll be putting the rest right into the ground once they are settled.

the Wabash that’s poking out

with the other tall friends.
I got a nice shady spot for them to go in ground end of summer.

1 Like

@resonanteye
Sorry to say, that is not a Pawpaw sprouting , looks to be some type of squash .

4 Likes

Additionally to what @Hillbillyhort mentioned, just keep in mind that seeds of a named variety will not produce true to type, they are just unnamed seedlings. There is a good chance that you will end up with higher than average quality fruit from those seedlings, just know that you can’t call them the named variety. It’s great to know where specific seed came from for the purpose of breeding characteristics though! Good luck!

2 Likes

@resonanteye
At 75-85 F it can take 2- 4 weeks for the root to emerge from the seed.
As much as 2 or 3 months for the sprout to come out of the soil.
Some are quicker than others .
Your heat mat may be good and appropriate, they like ~80 F.
I worry they could dry out on there, Heat mats are known to dry things out.
As @Bradybb mentioned, putting the pots in a plastic tub, is good , keeps humidity in. Or a large clear plastic bag , cover ? , etc.
I say this because, pawpaws like it warm, heat mats can dry pots out.,looking at empty pots for months is not a good incentive to keep them watered properly.
A humid chamber on heat mat is much easier/ better.
Only requires occasional inspections.
I have many seedlings just now emerging that were seeded in a warm room (~80 F ) in early April , germination is erratic, some have been up a month , some just now, others yet to emerge.
Just wanted to say … patience is in order .
Don’t let them dry out in the meantime.
Good luck .!

4 Likes

the roots were coming from the seed… unless I’ve got some kind of big seeded squash. we will see I guess

I’ve been checking water for them daily. the temp is at 75-85 so far. they won’t dry out, I’m watchin em!
I need to label them for my own peace of mind, I don’t plan to call em anything but “Pennsylvania place name food” haha. I grew up right on the banks of the Susquehanna.

also thanks everyone for telling all the things I need to know about these. I loved them as a kid and haven’t had one in over 20 years, since I came out west.

3 Likes

definitely a squash growing around the seed, I dug it out to look better. seeds are all still damp and waiting. it’s in the tall container now though! we’ve got some hot days on the forecast, should I heat mat at night still you think? or will the heat of the day be enough?

2 Likes

~80F , 24/7 is ideal , cooler just takes longer .

1 Like

I’ll heat em at night only then. we’ll be in the 80s-90s this week in the day

1 Like