Pawpaws 2023

I like this one more and more every year. A sneaky good pawpaw.

11 Likes

Your pawpaws, of the same varieties I grow, have ripened earlier than mine. I guess because your trees get more sun. Glad you like Wabash. Can’t wait for mine to ripen soon.

3 Likes

Hey SMC!
This is not a criticism at all, but I’ve noticed in your pics (not just this one) that the fruit interior has an appearance of being underripe or not fully developed. The flesh is pale in each case and not the typical color of the cultivar (eg Wabash is usually pretty deep orange). it also usually looks firm.

But Pictures can be deceiving.
Are you picking these fruits or are they dropping?
Again not trolling here just a little puzzled by your pictures which look rather unripe.
I’m worried you may not be getting the true pawpaw experience! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Good eye. The ones that drop tend to not be very photogenic. So once they start dropping, I usually pick an almost-ripe on from the tree and use that to take a photo of. When I tried the other way, my photos ended up looking like a pawpaw massacre.

6 Likes

:rofl:
Sounds good! Mystery solved!
All the best,
TT

4 Likes

I am kind of excited about the new KSU Hi 1-4 seeds that I bought from @Blake when he visited KSU fruit tasting. I got 3 seedlings going this Spring and hopefully in 4 years or so that I can try out the delicious fruits. This variety texture supposedly like Marshmallows and tasted great.

Tony

2 Likes

Wabash is A+ here. I like the meaty texture of the fruit very much.

4 Likes

My champion is Lehman’s Delight: 665 grams.

10 Likes

That’s a meal for more than one person!

3 Likes

My Shenandoah is a slow grower but faster to fruit. It took about 5 years to fruit. Its fruit’s texture is soft, and it tastes sweet, mild and pleasant.

Mango pawpaw is a fast grower but it took 8 years to fruit. This is my first year’s Mango.

It tasted similar to Shenandoah, to my tastebuds. However, texture near skin was stringy. You can see in the pic. Also, they had large seeds. The small fruit at the bottom had 5 large seeds, more seeds than flesh.

Shenandoah is worth growing for its precociuosness (for pawpaws), productivity and good taste.

Mango, had I known then what I know now, I would not grow it.

7 Likes

My experience has been the same regarding growth rate and precocity of Mango and Shenandoah. I got my first taste of Mango last year with about 6 fruits. I’ll be lucky if I can get any from it this year due to the late spring freeze delaying all my trees by a month. I wasn’t too impressed with my Mango fruits last year. Mine were also pretty seedy. The flavor was decent but not my favorite, they had kind of an artificial banana type of taste to them. My biggest issue was that they were fairly bitter and I’m not a fan of that with pawpaws. Hopefully it improves in quality in subsequent years. I’ll report again if I get any to ripen this year.

4 Likes

I had a cluster of 3 Shenandoah that I bagged. This morning, the smallest one was damaged by an animal trying to eat it true the bag (onion type of bag). The bag did not break but that fruit was severely damage.

The other two fruit survived. One without a scratch, the other with all the teeth marks. Both weighed 10.9 oz!!

Can anyone guess wjo was the owner of those teeth mark in the second pic. It happened overnight so I suspect an opossum or a raccoon.

3 Likes

I had my first Pawpaw fruit of the year,which is suppose to be an Overleese,that came from OGW,about ten years ago.A question for those growing or tasting this variety.
Among other flavors,there is a chalkiness.Does anyone notice this?
Some other kinds,sampled in the past,didn’t seem to have that.More attention will paid,when trying different ones,to see if it’s detectable.

1 Like

Did many of you out there have blossoms destroyed by spring frosts? We had about a 1% crop this year. KSU had about 40-50% crop. Interestingly the only cultivars that produced fruit in my orchard were ones originating in KY- Nyomi’s Delicious, KSU Chappell, Green River Belle, AND a brand new selection we are releasing in 2024 from Versailles, KY.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it Tony. KSU 1-4 is in my opinion possibly the best KSU selection thus far besides ‘Pina Colada’. Hard to try them all side by side but I remember feeling that I only want to eat pawpaws as good as KSU 1-4 or close to it - meaning ones with that thick marshmallow texture and amazing flavor. The older ones I can hardly stomach any more and just use for seed. But these newer selections are next level, including KSU 1-4. I’ve got it growing in my orchard.

4 Likes

Is release of KSU 1-4 close?

#justasking :blush:

2 Likes

EDIT: Not ants… Damage caused by peduncle borer

@Blake i found out that small ants have been destroying a lot of my pawpaw flowers.
Im in Florence Ky and had plenty of flowers but not many fruit.

2 Likes

Yes, there were a lot of blossoms that were damaged by the late frost that we experienced.

2 Likes

my wee saplings/seedlings have changed color and dropped most leaves. frost tonight.

a surprise germinated seed popped up in August and got about 6" tall to now. hoping they all make it through the bitter winter here.

3 Likes

Steven,
You picked your Wabash 8 days ago. Mine are still not ripen yet. Mine are in 90% shade. I tried a smell taste. I have not smell any fragrance.

3 Likes