Pawpaws in 2022

@Hillbillyhort … about 60 yards from my back door. I was not expecting to find them up on a ridgetop like that.

I need to go and walk my hollows again and just look for those… nice yellow leaves now… easy to spot.

4 Likes

One can find them about any where here . From just below the top of very dry, very steep rocky nobs ——— to flood planes

1 Like

Yep, so you’re a pawpaw grower, and didn’t know it!

1 Like

Yes, many are turning yellow…though I still have a few seedlings green and still growing.

Time to declare war?

2 Likes

I’ve been trapping them but our drought (until about 2 weeks ago) has brought so many more of them out this year.

Which varieties are more prone to diseases? I’m growing in Charlotte Nc zone 7b. I’d like to avoid diseased trees long term.

@BlueBerry … more like a pawpaw eliminator… in that area anyway. The area under and around my huge muscadine/trellis area… early most springs… i get in there with loppers and cut off any bushes or saplings to keep my muscadine vine area free of competition.

There is no telling how many times i have lopped that multistemmed pawpaw off… and it looks like it just continues to grow back.

Can young seedling pawpaws like this be dug up and transplanted ? Used for rootstock ??

I may have 100’s of them down in my hollows.

I am going to check soon… hope it is not too late to find some fruit.

2 Likes

It may be a challenge to transplant but if you can dig deep with equipment I bet you have a shot. It definitely won’t work if you don’t try!

1 Like

I just found some fruit in my wild patch in Nashville a few days ago. 10/6/22. There is still some hanging but not much.

8 Likes

This is one of my new baby pawpaw growing in the shade of a honeycrisp apple. The apple is an unreliable producer so im not removing the pawpaw.

4 Likes

Well, woke up to another damage. First time an animal climbed my pawpaw tree and did damage the fruit ON the tree.

Again , it did not finish up either fruit.

Bagging was intended to catch the fruit before they dropped to the ground.

6 Likes

@mamuang

If limbs sre broken that is racoons.

The limb was broken way back when the fruit were tiny.

However, seeing damage in the am makes me suspect a raccoon or early morning squirrel. ( squirrels hear show up at dawn).

1 Like

Didn’t fruit these, picked them up on a seed gathering expedition there.
Too late to photo some, some to be identified. Not all trees are tagged.

Will you share how to accomplish this or do I have to buy the book?

So far this is as good as one summer gets them for me.

2 Likes

THIS MEANS WAR !!!

I’d be p!$$@d!

1 Like

Made a trip down the Natchez Trace this evening just to enjoy the fall colors and to check a big shagbark hickory for nut drop… found none… looks like it did not bear this year.

But also had my eye out for pawpaw trees… I figured there would be some in this location.
I was not dressed for getting in the brush… but i will go back this week and see if I can find any fruit.

3 Likes

The wild ones have been ready since late august depending on the area. Mine are a little later because they are in almost full shade all day.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Could be opossums too. They will climb and break branches also. I would suggest putting out some live traps baited with half eaten pawpaws and then relocate the animals. I’ve caught so many this season and it helps a lot!