Pawpaws in 2022

Those JBG and Lehman’s Delight fruits are huge!

The pawpaw growing info is proprietary to our nursery but I plan on releasing the regimen info in the future.

1 Like

Did just that. Got a skunk :weary:
It ate all the bait, too. I still don’t think skunks climb fruit trees.

One less skunk in your planting is never a problem.

Oh, I never hurt skunks. I let them go. The same 3-4 of them are around. I recognize their stripe patterns.

If I find out that they climb my fruit trees, all bet will be off. I have raccoons, opossums and skunks for night thieves and groundhogs, squirrels and chipmunks for day time stealers.

2 Likes

If there are no low limbs (not common with pawpaws) you can wrap the trunk with metal flashing and this will keep climbers off, as long as they cannot climb via something else or a low limb. Flashing can be purchased at hardware stores.

2 Likes

@pawpawplanet graciously facilitated my tastebuds’ exposure to a couple varieties from this year’s crop, and I’ve gotta say they did not disappoint. I don’t really have the refined pallet that some of you with a lot of experience with the spectum do, but I still find myself imagining how each might be used in the kitchen beyond simply eating it by itself. I do see one of the zuchini-bread type recipes with some of the local black walnuts mixed in occuring at some point in the future when my own treats start slinging fruit at me.
Many thanks Woodie. :smiley:

3 Likes

Any porcupines? I’ve had a couple this year tearing up my pear trees.

No porcupines. I think what I have is more than enough !!

@Blake I am aware of such protection. All my trees branch out low intentionally. There are advantages and disadvantages of both low and high branching out approaches.

A pretty good year from the Unk. Pineapple Pawpaw tree. Although many of the fruits ripened a bit unevenly (sort of spottily) because of the drought, I’m guessing.

6 Likes

Today, the last 4 SAA Overleese paw paws fell off my tree (possibly because an impatient gardener kept poking and squeezing them to see if they were ripe yet). They are not quite ripe enough to eat, although they do give slightly when squeezed, so they should ripen OK on the counter. I think the weight of the hand was also a factor in their falling off a little early. Alltogether, the 4 paw paws weighed in at 1016g (aka 2.24lbs).

The largest paw paw in this hand was 361g (aka 0.8lb, or 12.73oz).

The other three paw paws weighed in at 326, 201, and 127 grams each (aka 11.5oz, 7.1oz, and 4.5oz each).

I feel like this was pretty standard for what I saw from this tree over the season. The tree would produce hands of fruit where the largest was between 300-400g, and the smallest was between 100-200g. On average, I’d say the fruit were around 250-300g each. I keep the tree pruned to about 12ish feet tall, and it produced maybe 9 or 10 hands of fruit this year, with the hands ranging between 4 and 6 paw paws. So, approximately 40-50ish fruit off a 12’ tree. This season, the tree started bearing mid-september, and these last fruit fell down on October 12, so approximately one month of fruit off the SAA Overleese. I’d eat one or two per day.

Granted, my sample size is low (the only other paw paws I’ve had were wild ones down by the creek/traintracks about a block away, and the KSU-Atwoods off of my tree that bore for the first time this year), but this SAA-Overleese (grown in full sun) is so far my hands-down favorite paw paw. The tree has been vigorous with minimal care, it has given me no problems, no fungi or diseases or weird fruit, and the fruit has been consistent, large, and delicious. Highly recommend!

9 Likes

First Pawpaw from any of my trees ever. Tiny.

This one seems a bit too firm even though it had fallen. Should I wait for it to soften before cutting it?

Variety is Danae’s creek side.

7 Likes

Found more. They had rolled down.
Critter had taken a bite off the best - ripest one. I still ate the rest.

Very sweet, delicious tropical flavor. No unpleasant aftertaste. Better than any shipped pawpaw I’ve tasted. Mainly because of no aftertaste.

6 Likes

My last two Sunflower.

The damage was done on the tree (not on the ground). I suspected squirrels because this happened during the day today.

They had to eat both. I cut off the bigger one to try. It was firmer than Shenandoah but taste similar sweet and mild.

I ate a small Mango. It had a bitter after taste.

4 Likes

Excellent idea I was thinking something plastic but flashing would work great.

1 Like

@ramv

When i was growing up we called those upland pawpaw because they grow in more diverse upland conditions in nature. Naturally what we called lowland pawpaw were much larger and would grow where there is water in the bottoms. In my area uplands grow in the lowland because of the nature of how Kansas weather is. The lowland i think can be acclimated here but it will take time. Great looking fruits once you taste a home grown pawpaw nothing else will do. My trees are growing like weeds now Pawpaw in Kansas - it's a lot of work but can be done!

2 Likes

Another tiny pawpaw.
There are much larger ones on the tree so it is not a varietal issue.

BTW, I like this size. I can’t eat a whole lot much more in a single sitting.

7 Likes

I would not object to this as the size I got, so long as I got enough for my household.
I do not have a lot of hope for them growing up, but I do have a parviflora and a fingersop currently alive in pots. I’d love to see them get to a point of producing fruit one day, and am curious if they’d cross pollinate if I set the pots in my pawpaw patch. But, I’m not the mad scientist who will take any of that in a direction others could benefit from data from.

Here are a couple of larger ones that fell today.

9 Likes

Danae’s Creekside?

1 Like

Its a discovery of Tyler Halvin’s. Named after his wife as it is reputedly her favorite. Very nice tropical cherimoya flavor.

2 Likes