Pawpaws in 2022

Is Shenandoah your favorite of those four?

Yes.

Then you probably wonā€™t care much for Susquehanna and Overleese. You should try Allegheny, Rappahannock, Taytoo, Mariaā€™s Joy, off the top of my headā€¦ There are other Lehman ones I would recommend, but I need to go back to find my notebook records, cause I mix them up sometimes since I remember them by the number name.

Youā€™d probably like the seedling I have here called Ohio 1. Itā€™s a firmer version of Shenandoah.

5 Likes

Was admiring your Overleese and then I read this. I hate the aftertaste. One of my named seedlings fruited this year. It had a weird alcohol like aftertaste. Nothing like the metal aftertaste Iā€™m used to. Initial taste was pretty good though.

I could actually dig that. Pawpaw beer is decent.

You know the aftertaste you get from a shot of whisky. Kind of like that, but milder. Perfectly ripe (not fermented).

1 Like

You mean the smoky finish? O_o?

No, just the alcohol.

O_o Is this the first year it set fruit?

Iā€™m intrigued, though Iā€™m wondering couldnā€™t this just be a cause of a slightly fermented pawpaw.

First year fruiting. Maybe different next year. The fruit was perfectly ripe. I did not get a buzz. You never know though, you could be right. Maybe I should let them ripen further to see if the content increases. Who would not want a pawpaw tree you have to be over 21 to eat.

1 Like

If there wasnā€™t a copyright, Iā€™d suggest calling it Captain Morgan.

2 Likes

Thank you Peachy.

1 Like

I noticed mention of ā€˜Sunsproutā€™ā€¦among others from a grower or experimenter in Vermont, apparently.
Any genetic info or any fruit tastings on this gentlemanā€™s ā€˜varietiesā€™? (Buzz Ferver).

Seed saved and stratified, I usually plant at least a couple seeds per one gallon pot. May-July usually.

Usually I get at least one plant per pot that method. 60 to 80% the first season, and perhaps another 5% germinate the second year.
Dividing seedlings in summer works out OK for asimina trilobaā€¦better than dormant transplanting actually.

1 Like

I had heard many years ago that mango came from Corwin Davis seed being selected in the south, not found in the wild. I was thinking this info came from KSU but I could be wrong. My memory is not the best these days. I do remember the person telling this was a reliable source at the time.

2 Likes

Some Durian varieties are said to be ā€œalcoholic.ā€
Itā€™s a desirable trait.

A little out of context but Iā€™ve realized many pawpaws have a rum flavor. (I donā€™t drink).
Coincidentally ā€œtutti fruittiā€ flavor, often ascribed to pawpaws, is sometimes defined as having a rum component.

3 Likes

That was me. Buzz is a friend (heā€™s pretty well known by nut junkies like John Brittan was) and if you see new stuff pawpaw pop up from him, itā€™s probably from me but originally from Ken Drabik, the Illinois pawpaw grower rep for the pawpaw growers association.

Thereā€™s a long story with Sunsprout, it involves Neal and a grafted pawpaw dying then sprouting from the rootstock. This goes back 20+ years to a time when Neal was selling trees himself and not licensing through nurseries. Basically, itā€™s named Sunsprout because itā€™s a seedling (or said to be a seedling) of Sunflower. I have no involvement with the breeding (well it wasnā€™t bred technically, not intentionally anyways) or growing of Sunsprout. I just took scionwood and sent it to Buzz. I have tasted Sunsprout. Itā€™s in the middling area of Sunflower flavor.

Actually, Iā€™m pretty sure a bunch of people on the forum have already tried Sunsprout, when I mailed out pawpaw fruit.

5 Likes

Thanks for coming back and giving info. I have quite a little group of
seedlingsā€¦but no named varieties.

2 Likes

As far as I know, Sunsprout is being sold by at least two Peterson licensed nurseries. Theyā€™ve tried it; liked it.

3 Likes

From my notes: ā€œMango Pawpaw: Discovered in 1970 in Tifton, Georgia, Okeefenokee Swamp, by Major C. Collins.ā€

6 Likes