Pawpaws in 2022

Do you think it’s ok to fertilize before grafts take? Specifically for in ground trees.

Thanks Blake! I actually have some pelleted chicken manure (Epsoma brand, I think) so that works out.

1 Like

Certainly defer to Blake but my 2 cents is one should be fertilizing at bud break which means about 2 months before grafting weather. So if you do that I think you’re fine but probably would not fertilize much if at all after grafting.
I would be sure tree is well watered prior to grafting.
Blake would know more. :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks Tracker! I applied some about a month ago but probably should have applied it earlier and heavier. I’ll hold off for a while and pray these grafts take. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

If the grafts are growing well, after several weeks, maybe a little N wouldn’t be a bad idea.
Just don’t do a lot and don’t fertilize past maybe July so that you don’t get a lot of tender growth that doesn’t have a chance to harden off before cold temps. It’ll just get killed back.

1 Like

This year I used zeta-cypermethrin mixed with a sticker/spreader and painted it on. It seemed to work well, but also killed the emerging leaves. So, I quit using it, and then got those attacks on 2 trees. Any thoughts on the latex/Neem impact on newly emerging growth?

That sounds like a good plan. I’m using composted chicken bedding it’ll so it isn’t all that potent. However it is free and I have a lot of it :joy:

1 Like

Sunflower pawpaws

9 Likes

Could have been an issue with the rootstock having a disease/virus. Maybe talk to the nursery.

1 Like

Usually grafting is in the spring, and fertilizing should be done in spring, so they can coincide without any issue I would think. I usually fertilize just after grafting to really push the scion to grow.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I’m suggesting painting the trunks during the dormant season. I have never seen it impact the buds, but then again, I paint the trunks and don’t usually paint over any buds. I made a video on it, it’s on our youtube channel . PAINT YOUR PAWPAW TREES! - YouTube

3 Likes

Always enjoy your videos!
However, what people add to soil & when, with Asimina Triloba should depend upon soil analysis of what is deficient, plus environment, plus variety planted, plus age of tree.
If 1 or more nutrients are elevated at the time soil testing reveals a nutrient deficiency, I’d highly recommend seeking the advice of an expert with knowledge of both your soil type, Triloba & the micro environment.
Even attempts of improvement modification of soil pH can have very negative results under such conditions by increasing the availability of something there is too much of already.
You even said so in one of your videos, correct?

1 Like

Very fast growth!

:hot_face: hot dry environment?
If you gave it Epsom salt or Magnesium,
Then leaves might be hyperventilating if your environment is dry?

1 Like

Hi. Yes my environment is dry but I just water them.
Thanks

Give shade!
Keep watering.
Mulch ground.
Provide wind breaks!!!

2 Likes

Thanks!

I planted 17 wild Pawpaw seedlings this year so I can graft next year or the year after. I had flowers on 4 older cultivars but no fruit yet.

1 Like

Alright…so I’m looking to add a few early to mid season ripening varieties in my central NH 5B zone. Here’s a history of the trees I have/had so far, the nursery, and their vigor thus far on my property

Spring 2020
Nash Nurseries
Shenandoah: Still alive and growing well now.
Susquehanna: Barely leafed out in 2021, dropped leaves and the graft died. Ripped out.
Atwood: Never showed life in Spring 2021. Ripped out.
Tallahatchie: Really took off the1st year and continues to do really well.

Spring 2021
One Green World
Susquehanna: No signs of life above graft this spring. Regrafted a Tallahatchie branch to it, but TBD
Shenandoah: No sign of life this spring. Yanked it.
Atwood: Small and struggled early on this spring, but doing better with abundant N
Potomac: Same as Atwood above
Mango: Small and struggling, but showing abundant signs of life now in multiple buds

Early Summer 2021
Peaceful Heritage
Chappell (supreme): Very healthy and strong growth
Al Horn White (large): Very healthy and strong growth
Nyomi’s Delicious (large): Very healthy and vigorous. Growing like a weed.
Golden Moon (medium): Healthy in 2021, but struggling to put out growth this spring. Some leafing out that browned and fell off. Trying to put out some scion growth again, but also some signs of stock suckering. Maybe some root rot? We’ll see.

Fall 2021
One Green World (all came small and 1 gal potted and sat dormant in basement over winter. Planted dormant early this spring)
Maria’s Joy: Out of dormancy quickly and strong new growth
Overleese: Some leader die back, but growing well now halfway up the original scion
Allegheny: Solid growth this spring

So I’ve tried many of the Peterson and KSU varieties. Susquehanna seems to really hate it here, but I may try growing a seedling tree directly in-ground and try grafting directly to that.

I’m looking to add 3-5 new varieties this year and I’m looking for recommendations on early ripening varieties, vigor, and taste…either just favorable tasting or something that’s more unique compared to others out there.

I’ve had my eye on some of the freestones, Halvin, KY champion, tropical treat, and Lehman’s 275-48 X 275-50 cross. @Blake has that named “Windstar”.

Also for Blake, how would you describe the taste of your “Avatar” offering?

2 Likes