Pawpaws in 2022

Does that happen to any of your other paw paws? That never happened to my SAA-Overleese, which is only like 10’ away from the Atwood, so grown in the same conditions. Both are in full sun.

Did you notice if you’re second year Atwoods were any better than your first year’s? Maybe mine is just having growing pains?

Doesn’t happen to other Pawpaws. I have many trees very close (6 feet). All in full sun.

I actually had more of the issue this year than last. But it was incredibly hot and dry this summer, more than last. So maybe Atwood is just sensitive.

But it’s very frustrating. You think you have a nice fruit and cut into it and it’s inedible

5 Likes

That fruit looks exactly like the couple Atwoods i have had.
I thought it had a bad seed to flesh ratio as well. It would be a shame if its not up to par with the better varieties.
My best growing tree by a long shot is a Atwood.

Well im going to a pawpaw tasting hosted by ksu in a few hours hopefully they will have Atwood there to try and i can report back.

Lost some Overleese to a raccoon

Cluster of Sunflower i hope to harvest in a few days.

8 Likes

This was exactly my experience, also!

If you get the chance to ask about the uneven ripening of atwoods, I’d be very interested in their response! And please, let me know what a “good” atwood tastes like, because right now I’m considering topworking mine to something else (but will probably wait a year or two to see if they improve at all).

Haha, I’d cut off the bad portions of those overleese, wash really well, and still eat it. They look good!

2 Likes

My Atwood is also pretty vigorous.

The good ones are pretty good but like @dpps said if the quality issue persists and we don’t learn a fix, it’s not worth growing for me.

2 Likes

It wasnt fun wasting it after watching it grow all season. I was curious enough to cut it open for a picture but not brave enough to eat it.
I usually wont eat bird pecked apples so any animal that eats garbage i really can’t share food with. Still have Overleese, Shenandoah and Sunflower fruit ripening in the kitchen.

Here is the raccoon ruined Overleese cut open. It seems to have some bruising or something similar to watercore going on in the center. Maybe not too obvious in the photo.

2 Likes

@TrilobaTracker
I don’t know the percentage of fruit that had the issue with uneven ripening but I thought Atwood definitely held its own flavor wise.

1 Like

First pawpaw on 4yr old seedling. Smooth,buttery,creamy,very sweet,banana, tutti frutti and a hint of coconut aftertaste. No metallic or bitterness.My wife and daughters loved it! I was going to topwork but ill probably keep it!

11 Likes

Two inches of rain a couple weeks ago split about one third of my crop, first time in ten years of production here. This despite a thick layer of wood-chip mulch ten feet wide and 6 to 8 inches deep.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that.We get almost 2 inches daily down here it seems. Glad mine didn’t split.This was the only one i had make it. It’s really late for down here. The tree actually bloomed twice. One in march and then in late june. I had other fruit set on other trees but they fell off by may.

1 Like

My Atwoods are among the stars of my patch. Some are in partial shade, others in full sun. This variety is very vigorous, fruits are large and generally free of black patches. Flavor excellent.

My problem this year is cracking. Some may be related to phyllo but we also had 3" of rain recently which cracked and ruined a lot of big beautiful fruit of all varieties. First year for this issue.

5 Likes

8 Likes

My first Shenandoah fell yesterday. There are some decent sized ones this year.

Here is a Wabash I picked today because the aroma was intoxicating on the tree. I didn’t want anyone else sniffing it out and stealing it.

18 Likes

I wish I knew what is causing my issue with the white, hard tissue. :sob:
Good to hear from you!

1 Like

I notice that you and I are both zone 7A, while @marc5 is zone 5b. Do you think our atwoods’ unripe patches might have to do with the relative warmth of our climates? I have no idea if this makes any sense, but maybe in 7a they ripen too fast in the warmer climate, before all the internal flesh is ripe, whereas in 5b they ripen slower and more evenly? I’m just spitballing here, though.

3 Likes

It’s totally possible and lines up with the quasi-explanation I received from KSU. (Not a dig against KSU)

2 Likes

Tropical Treat: Best tasting pawpaw i have had so far, I can taste Mango and Banana in there with little to no aftertaste. KSU-Atwood was the second best which i tasted last year, this year Atwood had no fruit on it.

19 Likes

PA Golden #3 isn’t a great pawpaw. It’s okay tasting, kind of has a minerally aftertaste, but it sure produces some big fruit.

13 Likes

Backyard tasting with three friends yesterday, rating only taste:

1. My 14 year old Select Seedling from Edible Landscape.
  2. KSU Chappelle
  3. KSU Atwood- blew me away but taste did not linger like the others. Update: some of my Atwoods have the hard, unripe patches other report. Zone 7 here.

Unfortunately I picked the Susquenhana too soon, so not rated.

6 Likes