Pawpaws in 2022

For those of you that are sensitive to pawpaw, are there varieties that cause the least discomfort? I am very sensitive to the metallic after taste. Sometimes I get a migraine and stomach upset.

Among the Annonas, pawpaws are the only one that do this. I have eaten a variety of Annonas growing up and I’ve never had a problem before.

So far I found Shenandoah to be have the least after-effects. Are there others?
I however still cannot eat more than one without feeling queasy.

Some wild varieties caused me to get really sick for a couple of days.

1 Like

We eat pulp of pawpaws from sunflower variety and don’t feel any metallic aftertaste or any negative thing, just a very very sweet dry paste with a tropical fruit/mango taste that stays on mouth for a lot of time… yummy! :yum: :yum: :yum:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. The seedling was the highest rated taste?

1 Like

I’ve heard reviews of Tropical Treat ranging from vanilla custard to very tropical. I loved the name and bought it hoping it is more tropical flavored. Mine should produce next season. I’ve tried one several years back but it wasn’t in the best shape so I couldn’t give it an accurate review.

1 Like

I gave 4 to a doctor I’ve done some work for. He said they were simply delicious.

I think they’re all gone here in my area now. Mostly so for sure.

1 Like

Shenandoah and Allegheny are supposed to be similar. Al Horn’s is supposed to be fairly mild from my understanding.

1 Like

Yes. Winner seedling from unknown but named parents growing at Edible Landscaping, VA about 2008.

Last night I tasted a friend’s Wabash that he offered me-had mild flavor but pretty sure it was not ripe, will retest soon.

2 Likes

More Shenandoah ripened.

My lone Wabash is coming soon.
Sunflower and Mango are far behind. Being in shade is probably a big factor.

7 Likes

Give us some pics of it cut open when you eat them. How do you rate them against the others? Still waiting on mine.

Wabash is usually a pretty good medium flavored pawpaw. Probably right about it not being fully ripe.

1 Like

Here are my only Halvin this year. 1 flower escaped frost to produce this cluster. This tree struggled the first few years but finally has vigor.

18 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’m experiencing the same slow growth with my Halvin tree. Could you share a picture of the fruit cut open and let us know how it tastes?

1 Like

My Wabash seedling can sometimes have a washed-out flavor.
But I think Wabash is considered reasonably strong, not mild. But of course it’s all subjective :blush:

3 Likes

Glad to hear more tasting thoughts on different varieties. This is my 2nd year getting Wabash fruits from my tree. Mine had a few odd issues last year (seed malformations which possibly allowed alkaloids from the endosperms to diffuse into the pulp and causing nausea more readily and an issue where the skin of the fruits turned fully brown much more quickly than others), so I hesitate to say much about it so far. Hoping these issues will improve with age. I will say that it is a really sweet variety and has rather firm flesh. I’ll have more to say about it after eating several more this season. I will be tasting my first Mangos this year so will comment on those too.

4 Likes

Do you have many ripe fruit yet Tony? I’ve found 2 wild fruit that were ripe but most are still very hard.

I think pawpaws are finished here…but I do recall one tree I picked one from after a frost one year…maybe I’ll find time to check it out.

1 Like

KSU- Atwood Update: - now I too am getting ripe fruit with hard, white spots on parts of the flesh as someone else described. Three like this in last day. The ripe part is fabulous, but yes, agree now, Atwood has a problem.

2 Likes

Yes I do! Much to my surprise, Allegheny started ripening fruit very early this year on August 29th. I think it has dropped most of its fruits already, around 30 or so. Wabash and Shenandoah started more recently on the 12th and 13th respectively. All 3 of those started on 9/14 last year. I should get my first Mango within a few days.

The wild fruits in our area tend to start around 9/10 pretty reliably. But there are few to be had the first week. The last 2 weeks of September is when they seem to drop the majority of their fruits, so I would expect that you could find a lot more if you look next week.

2 Likes

That’s what I figured. A friend in WV had them ripening in the wild last week, she said it was pretty early compared to last year. I assumed we would be at least a week behind that, and two makes more sense.

1 Like

Check these guys out I found today on one smaller tree my personal biggest yet. Delicious banana flavor and no after taste. Dummy me was so excited I forgot to mark tree for scion wood maybe next year.

8 Likes