Pawpaws in 2022

I’ve made the same mistake in the past not marking good trees. Now I always bring some flagging tape or something. Also a sharpie to mark the fruit as they come off the tree so you don’t mix them up.

2 Likes

Good idea

So weird!
At KSU last Thursday, they had Atwood samples and some also had the white stuff.
I wouldn’t say (yet) this is unique to Atwood necessarily, but certainly seems very prone.

Dying to know the true root cause.

Heat seems probable considering it was insanely hot here this year and the problem was worse than last.

3 Likes

Anyone know the results of the Pawpaw festival yesterday? Best Pawpaw? Biggest

2 Likes

I had a few wild ones from Asheville, NC area yesterday and they had the white hard chunks inside as well. First time I’ve seen any.

1 Like

Been wondering too. Haven’t seen official info but I believe Wabash got 2nd in Best competition.

4 Likes

iI found same thing in cherimoya this year.

Now hearing maybe Tollgate won first. If so
That’s 2 years in a row with Tollgate in top 3.
Edit: apparently a seedling of JBG was third.

6 Likes

Robert,
Got 3 friends to try Shenandoah today. All are very familiar with tropical fruit. All liked it and said it was very good, smooth, creamy. One said there was a hint of banana. The other two said it reminded them of sugar apple, cherimoya’s cousin.

Also gave one to another friend on Fri. She texted me that evening raving about it.

Shenandoah is sweet and mild so it tends to be well received by those who never tried pawpaws before.

I had Susquahanna. At the time, I felt it tasted a bit too strong for me.
I have eaten Sunflower for the past few years. I detected bitter aftertaste in some.

9 Likes

I’ve got Shenandoah, Susquahanna, NC-1, and Potomac. None of those have fruited yet. Also have some seedlings of improved varieties that did fruit. Have to admit the seedling fruit was pretty good. Better than the local wilds.

2 Likes

Looks like I may need to add a Tollgate. That’s an old Corwin Davis cultivar right?

4 Likes

I think so.

Austin, the first place winner, posted a video of the award presentation on YouTube.
Interestingly the second place fruit was announced as a Shen but the grower himself first told me Wabash. Now he says he’s not sure LOL
Third was not JBG seedling but apparently Lehman’s Delight.

9 Likes

First was a wild seedling right?

First taste of the freestone Cantaloupe pawpaw. Pretty good. It could have ripened more though, so I’m leaving the others on the tree.

13 Likes

Looks like one I’d love to sample. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here ya go.

It has a buttery, creamy texture and mild flavor. It’s probably a good pawpaw for those who are new to them.

8 Likes

No fruit this year,but here is a picture of my two biggest trees.Overleese on the left and Kentucky Champion,right side.

7 Likes

Pawpaws in PNW are much later than elsewhere in the country. My young trees are fruiting for the first time. Only a dozen fruit across 2 trees.

Shenandoah

Danaes creek side

12 Likes

My one and only Wabash dropped this morning. A good size, almost a lb

It was in an organza bag. Still, something tried to bite a chunk of it. This does not deter me from eating the fruit :joy:

13 Likes

Looks great! Do you notice much difference in how easy it is to get out the freestone seeds compared with typical pawpaws?