PawPaws

Hello all,
I am very excited to have signed up. I still consider myself a newbie grower. My wife and I are growing various fruits that work here in the Pacific Northwest and some citrus and avocado that we have protected in the winter for two seasons. Have some fruit on our Satsuma this year and hope to try our avocados in the next couple of years if we can get them to that stage. Even experimenting this year with growing Orinoco and Namwah bananas which will probably fail but that is part of the fun! I kind of went a little crazy with Figs!
Now about Pawpaw’s and sorry to ask with my first post. My wife is not sure if she would like Pawpaw’s so before I bought a couple of plants, was curious if anyone had a couple fresh pawpaw’s they could sell and ship. I did see a place online but the cost to ship some was outrageous.
So thanks again for reading!
Gary

4 Likes

Welcome to GrowingFruit!
It is wise to taste Pawpaws before buying. Many people enjoy them. Some though experience side effects such as headache or nausea. Others don’t care for a taste imparted by the skin (similar to the unrelated White Sapote skin) or the aroma. Finally, there are some who are concerned about the Annonacin content. If you obtain one from One Green World, I recommend the Susquehanna.

4 Likes

Welcome.
In my corner of the world, most pawpaw are done, but we had a strange year that made for a longer than usual season, with some ripening this last week that often don’t ripen at all for us. I didn’t get ahold of any, but reports were that they were even tastier than the norm as well. It’s worth knowing not only what you like, but what will produce reliably for you. If there is a late festival nearby, it may be worth checking it out for a tasting. Farmer’s markets near those with good yields may still have some, but I suspect you’re looking at mostly frozen or sold out by now.
Pawpaws don’t ship well, so that is always going to be both more expensive and a higher percentage “way too unripe” or “wish it had arrived yesterday.”
@Richard I did not realize eating the skin was a proper option. I always used it as a floppy bowl and left it to the compost.

1 Like

Thank you for catching that. I have changed the text to “imparted” – my intended meaning.

1 Like

Thank you for replying. Will probably have to wait so my wife can try some until maybe find a farmers market next year. Yes, I have read a lot of positive things about Susquehanna. That was one I was looking at. Also, Allegheny, KSU Chappell.

Welcome Gary!

I recommend reading a few threads.

1 Like

Personally I’d skip them. Your mileage might vary.

FYI Chappell here in Z 7 Maryland bore fruit several years before Susquehanna. Chappell is truly precocious here and Susquehanna not. Chappell also has a fab-u-lous taste.

2 Likes

Here are nice videos from Portland Oregon. She gives good advice i think.

2 Likes

Welcome! You may find the long thread at Pawpaws 2023 - #296 by TrilobaTracker worth reading

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies. The links were interesting reading. Will try to look into getting ahold of a fruit or two next season for my wife to try before committing to buying a couple. My wife said she would not want a variety that mostly tastes like mango but would like something more like banana and maybe pineapple. Since we live in Washington State would need a early variety I’m sure.

1 Like

I’ve noticed more of a pineapple flavor in most of the varieties I tried. I bought a few trees in the spring without knowing what they tasted like. Luckily I found a farmer near by that has a Pawpaw orchard. I really enjoy the fruit and it’s unique flavor and texture.

4 Likes

Welcome.Thanks for the report.Where’s your location?

Thank you. I am in North Jersey

1 Like

Ksu Chappell is excellent, flavorwise I prefer it over susquehanna. Susquehanna tends to have a more firm flesh, Chappell is firm but has more of a creamyness to it. I havent heard of anyone not liking it. It’s also very vigorous and makes large fruits.

2 Likes

Good idea, i know theres a handful of folks in the PNW growing them. Check the pawpaw groups on fb for oregon and washington pawpaw growers. Buying fruit is my favorite way to buy seed!

Thanks. My wife and I are not on Facebook to buy some fruit.

So a good Samaritan has a a couple of paw paw seedlings and a named cultivar scion to graft onto one that i will pick up in spring. Now I am looking to buy an Shenandoah scion but cannot locate a site that sells it. I checked fruitwood and they don’t sell it it appears. My understanding is that Shenandoah is not under patent anymore. Could someone please help me out with a site that sells them? We are not on Facebook so have no access to groups or marketplace. Thanks all!

Restoring Eden seems to have them in stock still. That’s where I got mine.

They are located right by SeaTac depending where you live @PNWGARY. They ship too.

Thanks I saw restoringeden has shenandoah plants but dont thinl the sell scionwood.