Peach Germination

Having trouble germinating peaches, not sure why??? I cleaned and moist stratified many nuts and other fruits, Pecan, walnut, pawpaw, chestnut and others this winter by placing them in a buried 5 gallon bucket in moist compost.

Everything has germinated, most with 90% or more, except the peaches…

To make matters more interesting, the bucket of peaches also had American plum, which mostly did germinate…just not the peaches.

Any ideas would be welcome.
Josh

I would ask where you got those peach pits from.

All I did was buried them in ground in the fall. Those that were not stolen by squirrels sprout in the spring.

Same here. All I did was stick them in an old pot with potting soil in the fall, and they all sprouted this spring. I didn’t do anything special to the pit. After I ate the peach, I just stuck it in the dirt, maybe an inch or two deep.They were store bought peaches.

Great, I was hoping I did something wrong…its hard to learn if I made no mistake yet have poor results…

They were a mix of locally harvested fresh peaches. All pits seem viable. Even now, when cracked open they look fresh and good. Just no one wants to GERMINATE…

Not sure if this will ever help anyone, but I tried cracking some of the seeds open, removing the kernel and carefully peeling the brown skin off after a 24 hour water soak. These hulless and skinless seeds were then kept in a moist place and 100% germinated in 2 days…

1 Like