Peach graft logging spring 2018

I like Sanguine Tardive more and more each year, once I learned to thin heavily the fruits are almost always excellent.

I had about 40% takes on my peach benchgrafts and peach outside grafts. Peach benchgrafts were kept inside for about a week. I was using a box cutter with new blades. I remembered to wipe the oil off the new blades each time but wonder if just wiping them with a paper towel did a good enough job. Hereā€™s a few that took:
McKay on K1:

McKay on Prunus Americana:

PF24C on K1:
PF24C on Prunus Americana:
Tomcot on Prunus Americana:
Also had a Baby Crawford take on K1 rootstock outside.
As far as grafting onto existing peach trees, 1 Baby Crawford, 1 Old Mixon Free, and 2 Artic Glo nectarines took.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll try and get the others and see how they are. Iā€™ll try and get extra wood.
Sanguine Vineuse
Sanguine dā€™auvergne

Can you paint the grafting compound over the buds of the scion wood?

I think they can all be painted over. It helps keep the scion from drying out.

Yesterday I was talking with a rep from Adams County Nursery. I wanted to order some Tiana peach trees, but they werenā€™t available.

The guy said they were short of peach tree because they only had about 50% takes from their late summer budding on peaches. He said they normally have about 80% takes.

He said they tried to make it up with spring grafting, but that didnā€™t go well either, so they were already sold out of most peach trees for spring 2019.

Just thought it interesting even pro grafters sometimes have some difficulty propagating peach trees. He said the nursery normally sells about 1.2 mil. trees annually.

7 Likes

Mark,
That made us feel better. Those among us who consistently have over a 50% suucess rate have earned a bragging right. A key word here is consistency. Mine is up and down.

What weird for me is that I have no problem with nectarine. Got 100% take every year (only a few grafts a year. It could be a fluke). Arenā€™t they the same thing as peaches?

1 Like

I think so Tippy. I know thereā€™s is only a single recessive gene difference b/t a peach and nectarine. Iā€™m not that familiar with genetics (other than the basics) but I googled it and apparently a single gene can affect multiple traits. I know most people recognize that nects generally have more intense flavor than peaches (although there are some sub-acid nects too) so perhaps that one gene could affect multiple traits in nects. Or it may be that the select breeding stock used to create nects simply have more flavor.

A minority of peach varieties have the recessive gene for nects, so that may be why most nects are somewhat unique and have that unique characteristic of intense flavor.

Still, I would guess the ā€œnect geneā€ probably wouldnā€™t affect the success of propagation, but thatā€™s just a guess.

From MSU, ā€œThe nectarine characteristic is controlled by a single recessive gene. In order for a tree to be a nectarine type, it has to receive the nectarine gene ā€œgā€ from both parents. The cross between two nectarines will always result in nectarine offspring. Most peaches are homozygous for ā€œGā€, the peach characteristic. Two peach varieties that have a single nectarine gene are Autumnglo and Encore.ā€

1 Like

That does relieve some frustration. Only 20% success with 4/26 grafts. One additional graft done 5/26 looks good. Iā€™ll have some free time this weekend and will try a few more. Itā€™s late but the weather looks good for the next few days.

1 Like

I thought the big root I had topworked was dying, all the grafts were wilting. But I realized it was the leaves only that were in trouble - in my eagerness to keep the deer away I think I smothered them with repellant. They are now growing back from the bases. Fortunately the root was a very vigorous one when I started this spring or it would be long gone by now. I put chicken wire cages around the grafts so they donā€™t need to be sprayed any moreā€¦

1 Like

I know they actually supplement some of their peach inventory in off years from other nurseries. I think that happens quite often with the bigger nurseries.

1 Like

My little Contender graft that made it (of 3) has slowly yellowing leaves that look nice otherwise. But theyā€™re falling off :frowning: If itā€™s fungal or something, will it regrow leaves? I mean, has anyone had a small peach graft re-foliate?

Itā€™s not fried. Maybe I didnā€™t hit it well with fungicide when I did the tree itā€™s on. I really want Contender! The scion non-leafy part is green and nice.

Itā€™s possible that the leaves sprouted out from the life that was/is in the scion and the graft union didnā€™t take.
Iā€™ve had that happen,when everything looks good and growing,then fizzles.
Hopefully,thatā€™s not the thing with yours. Brady

1 Like

Drat. I hope not, but defoliation is never good on little things. We got hot more abruptly than I expected this year, so me looking for high seventies for several days had me in the 90s quick, lol!

You could be seeing the same thing I saw above, the spray did in the leaves. My graft is growing back now.

Thank you! I hope thatā€™s it.

I scrape the bark before I remove grafts. I had a low rate of takes but I did a lot. So I got about 6 new peaches and 3 nectarines. Not too bad along with 5 new mulberries, a new cherry, 5 new dogwood cherries and about 8 new plums and pluots. Itā€™s been a good grafting year.

1 Like

Breaking the rules, letting this yearā€™s graft bear fruit, but Iā€™m pleased with the idea as winter survival is a bit in question. This is a Rising Star on Prunus Americana. Itā€™s pretty small and just starting to smell peachy. Itā€™s the first peach Iā€™ve ever heard of ripening outside a greenhouse in this area. The pot in the background is tied in with an approach graft for another duplication.

5 Likes

I bridge grafted a peach tree three weeks ago. One week after some leaves turned yellow, mostly on one scaffold. They fell off and that scaffold is about bare. The scaffold next to that one lost about half its leaves. The other half of the tree is green and growing. Still too soon to tell. I wrapped the whole bottom of the tree and covered with tyvek. I donā€™t want to take that off so Iā€™m crossing my fingers.

I will have to take a current picture. The top right of the left scaffold is whatā€™s dying.

2 Likes

My Contender graft that took is a goner :frowning: But I found that the entire rootstock sucker croaked. I think it did take well; itā€™s just that that sucker had problems.

The tree it suckered on is extremely vigorous this year, so maybe the sucker didnā€™t get enough energy. Bummer, because the other 2 grafts on trees proper fried straightaway.

White River done at the same time is doing wonderfully, at least! And one variety of almond took on my almond, too (kind of like a peach) :slight_smile: That was done earlier, before the high heat popped up.

1 Like