Peach Grafting Advice

Thank you for this information with pictures of growth, very encouraging i have to say and BEAUTIFUL Yard and how it’s landscaped…

Please keep us informed. I have a low success rate with grafting peaches so I’m very interested in your success considering the warm temperatures.

I’ve wrapped the chip buds with aluminum foil and the then the bark grafts I wrapped with moistened single sheet of paper towel wrapped around scionwood and then double bagged with clear plastic bags inorder to keep moisture inside. This helps budwood from drying out. Then loosely tied plastic bags to the original tree with string . This method for bark grafting worked well for me with Persimmons, pear, apple and figs. Bud growth was achieved in 12-15 days with moisture. First time trying on peaches, hopefully will have success and grafts will take.

1 Like

Thanks Deric!

Impressive yard and trees! Which rootstock do you have on the peaches?

1 Like

They are all on Lovell.

I grafted successfully Santa Rosa to peach.
The graft grew Abt 4’ first year, then plums second ripened second year on plum Scion grafted to peach.
My question - will the reverse work?
Graft same peach to Santa Rosa?
thanks!

Plums are extremely vigorous on peach. All of my results are like yours - vigorous growth the first year followed by fruit the second year. Unfortunately, I have no experience with peach on plum root.

1 Like

Kevin
I’ll let you know how things turn out.
I grafted Peach to Santa Rosa today.
I don’t have high success grafting peaches, so I hope the results aren’t determined by bad technique, instead of compatibility.
It seems logical (without any data to confirm) that if Santa Rosa can be successfully grafted to peach, then the reverse may be true, or is that too simplistic?
Comments welcome!

1 Like

My success rate with peaches is low as well. Plums do very well and apricots do well also. Peaches are difficult. I wish you lots of success Fran.

@Franp @SpokanePeach I have only grafted 1 peach onto a plum rootstock. Don’t know what kind of peach it was but was put on wild Chickasaw plum. Has had vigorous growth. This is its 3rd year and the first time it has fruited.

2 Likes

Thanks Brett.
Well you got a peach on a plum.
I suppose type of plum wether euro or Asian would make a difference on success.
I don’t know what category the Chickasaw plum falls under -maybe neither Euro or Asian.
A previous thread discussed euro vs Asian plum situations.
I don’t think grafting peach scions to asian or euros was discussed
@alan @Appleseed @Olpea @scottfsmith

Is American ( south). American plum genes are generally are compatible with most things. Many asian plums bread in the US have america. In the. For obvious reasons and are more generically compatible. Then pure Asian.

@Franp lord kiwi is right the Chickasaw plum is American. Supposedly the native Americans cultivated it before the arrival of the Europeans. In my neck of the woods it is very prolific. They will sucker out and spread like crazy if not kept in check.

1 Like

Euro plums readily graft on peaches. Asian plums are also successful on peach roots.

1 Like

Olpea: @Olpea
I just edited my clip you referenced in your comment.
I meant to say the opposite:
“I don’t think grafting peach scions to asian or euros was discussed”
So do peaches readily graft to euro or Asian plums?

1 Like

That’s more dicey. Certainly there are plum rootstocks which peaches are grafted to for various reasons. Grafting peaches to Asian plums may have extra limitations.

In terms of initial graft success, I doubt you’d see anything but mostly success grafting peaches to plums. The issue comes up later when lack of vigor or lack of compatibility shows up.

4 Likes

Love your peach trees so pretty. I was born and raised in Spokane. Moved west for UW (fish ecology) and found a western Wa girl not down for the Spokane snow. Is that the south hill? Looks like it.

Always good to hear from another Spokanite Rob! Thanks for the compliments on the trees. Location is the Valley, not the South Hill. It’s the Morningside neighborhood on the hill behind Central Valley high school.

1 Like

@Olpea , I know it’s an old thread, but I much enjoyed this video. Thank you for posting it.

2 Likes