Peach grafting weather?

In my case, all the scions were of excellent quality, so I discounted this as a potential culprit.

1 Like

My one apricot graft was going great and was at about 1/2" growth and then the cold hit and it stalled and never got going again. If I had a bag on it that might have pushed it over the top.

I tried a re-graft on the same trunk with a 3" long scion wedge on my bark graft, will see how it does.

1 Like

Same happened to one of my “successful” nectarine grafts…

I put some chip buds on some potted peach seedlings about two weeks ago.leaving the tops in place.
3 days ago I broke the tops over.
Today the buds pushed out of the parafilm.
Plane to cut back to buds in a week

2 Likes

It’s time.I’m starting.bb

• Today

Today: Sunny, with a high near 68. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph.

Sunny

High: 68 °F

• Tonight

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 48. North northwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm after midnight.

Clear

Low: 48 °F

• Monday

Monday: Sunny, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming north northwest 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.

Sunny

High: 72 °F

• Monday
    Night

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 49. North northwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming east northeast in the evening.

Mostly Clear

Low: 49 °F

• Tuesday

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 72. Light and variable wind becoming north northwest 5 to 7 mph in the morning.

Sunny

High: 72 °F

• Tuesday
    Night

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 50.

Mostly Clear

Low: 50 °F

• Wednesday

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 74.

Sunny

High: 74 °F

• Wednesday
    Night

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 50.

Mostly Clear

Low: 50 °F

• Thursday

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 79.

Sunny

High: 79 °F

4 Likes

Brady,
With the weather like you have, can’t blame the weather if your grafts did not take :smile:

1 Like

I had a big rootstock growing at mom and dads, probably 7 feet tall that I grafted on April 20th early in the morning. It was cold and windy but several days of warm weather were on the way, I put five grafts on it and they appear to all be pushing growth. It will be a redskin/Madison peach tree now.

SAT
4/20
70°/ 38°
actual temperatures
SUN
4/21
83°/ 49°
actual temperatures
MON
4/22
79°/ 57°
actual temperatures
TUE
4/23
69°/ 57°
actual temperatures
WED
4/24
64°/ 56°
actual temperatures
THU
4/25
72°/ 49°
actual temperatures
FRI
4/26
71°/ 48°
actual temperatures
SAT
4/27
78°/ 47°
actual temperatures
SUN
4/28
71°/ 43°
actual temperatures
MON
4/29
75°/ 56°
actual temperatures
TUE
4/30
74°/ 59°
actual temperatures

6 Likes

Here’s my poor Allred plum with a whole bunch of pluot varieties grafted on. I did some splice grafts on long whips to pull down later in the summer and hopefully end up with a full tree by next spring, and then chips and clefts and splices closer to the main branches. I think it will look cool to have contrasting sections of foliage.

3 Likes

I’ve waited for peach grafting this year. It’s like Waiting For Godot, it never arrives.

On 4/24, with high 60 and low 40, I grafted a Winblo, a Florilege apricot, just to push my luck. These scion have been through many rainy and cold days these past two weeks.

Now, I saw some leaves pushing through parafilm. If these grafts survive, it could change my mind about what temp to graft peach.

3 Likes

I grafted the last few peaches today. I had two big rootstocks around 7 feet tall , if the graft takes it should really push growth. I am very pleased with my peach grafts this year, ten out of twelve grafts are showing growth so far.

Had one really big scion and a nice rootstock, this is the biggest peach scion I have ever grafted . It will be interesting to see if it takes.

This year has given me the opposite feeling, my early grafts were in a period where there were short warm spells but followed by long cool spells (60F and lower). I didn’t do super well and almost a month later re-grafted several things. The re-grafts are all doing really well and I wished I had not wasted nearly all my peach scions on the early cold weather. One advantage this year in the later weather is it rarely got above 80, so it was not frying the grafts. It’s hard to predict if that’s the case but I am going to save up more wood for a 2-3 week later window.

Scott,
This past Mon, 5/6, was the beginning of a long stretch of consistent weather with high around 62-64 and low 40-50 for 8 consecutive days. I did 17 peach grafts.

When I grafted on 4/24, the temp was also consistent cool (high 50’s, low 35-45) for almost two weeks after that day.

If my 2nd batch grafting this week works, I’ll say consistent temp is a contributing factor. We have had no temperature swing while you did.
I need to wait two weeks to find out.

My peach grafts did so well this year! My temps were high 70s, low to mid 80s. I shaded them from the sun at the beginning because the SW side of the orchard gets really strong afternoon sun.

2 Likes

I grafted a Winblo peach and a Frolilege apricot on 4/24. At the time,
high temp was 60 and low was 40 for about 3 -4 days . Subsequent weeks, we had temp as low as 34 and 38 F.

Last week they started showing signs of life. But we barely had any sunny days. So far, the highest temp we had never had was 68 for a day. Forget about 70 F. Geafts barely grow

I took these pics today. All they need is sunkight and warmer temp. Am I asking too much?

5 Likes

Glad to see them leaf out.I just grafted my apricots few days a day. The weather is crazy this year, one day in 70s and the next day is in 50s

Thanks, Annie. They are not out of the wood yet. While I don’t discount weather as a factor, it looks to me that quality of scionwood and a location where I put a graft on a tree is more important.

I have noitced that scions grafted on last year’s wood (not rootstock grafting) that is vigorously growing have a higher % of take.

On May 3rd, with a stretch of days in the seventies forecasted, I re-grafted 5 cots (varieties that failed earlier) and a nectarine. Today, all are showing small green leaves (I am comfortable calling them successes).

1 Like

All of my cot grafts showed small green leaves, but two stalled and failed. But they were both on a large stock and it kept sprouting too many adventitious buds below the graft. If your takes are on small stocks they are almost certainly good I would say.

This year I did much worse on my bark grafts on the big trunks compared to the wedge grafts on smaller shoots. My one apricot that finally took was on a small stock. I think next time I will graft more to the smaller shoots off the big trunks, and less on the big trunks themselves.

1 Like

Mine are mostly on smaller stocks, either the same diameter as the scion or a bit more. The biggest difference that I have is for Early Blush which is grafted on a stock that is double its diameter.