Peach time!

Ok now I have to add Red Haven to my list too :grinning:

1 Like

We are just about done for the season. Another couple weeks at most.

1 Like

Is that because the latest peaches will be ripe soon, or the interest in peaches starts to drop? I would think that varieties like Heath Cling, Victoria, and Autumn Price be ripe almost 2 months from now.

1 Like

I called an orchard just over the river in Ohio, and they’ve had a bumper crop of peaches this year. Unfortunately, we didn’t know about it until last week, and they’re about done with theirs. They only have Victoria and Cresthaven, I believe, left.

If we’d knew about them sooner, we would’ve drove the 50mi up there and picked some up.

2 Likes

Bob,

Currently Victoria is our last peach and will start to ripen in a little less than two weeks. We started the season here very early, plus like many varieties, Victoria didn’t perform well in our challenging spring weather this year.

I don’t have Heath Cling. I have a couple trees of Autumn Prince. One of them actually has a peach on it this year (even though I planted it just this spring). That one peach does look like it’s a ways off from harvesting. It hasn’t even started the fruit swell stage.

2 Likes

Let me know if you want to graft Heath Cling next spring. I also have Carnival, which should be about a week later, per DWN. Both are 2nd year trees, which are carrying a few fruit each.

3 Likes

White lady time!

17 Likes

Beautiful looking peaches

1 Like

The Winblo trees I grafted thanks to Olpea for the scion and the Loring peach tree I got from Lowes finally fruited. Best peaches I have eaten. Peach trees has became my favorite. The flowers and peaches are so beautiful. I am so obsessed I am ordering 7 more varities from Vaughns. I plan to plant about .25 acres of peaches. Wished I tried peach 1st instead of last. I will feel like the ‘Monkey King’ in journey to the west when I stand in my mini peach orchard. Have no clue what I would do with all those fruits though. Hope it doesn’t cut into my muscadine season. I have about 500 lbs of muscadines over 8 weeks that I have to eat and give away.

2 Likes

My sweet bagel are just starting to show some red and size up some…still mostly green and rock hard. One is open in the middle and i can see through it. Seems to be very late reading through some old posts.

2 Likes

We had so much rain this year.my July Elberta started to have grey mold, I have to pick them all off, well, them fell off anyways. I have been making peach jam every night since Monday. so many bottles of jam that can last for several years, i don’t eat such sweet things and I am watching my diet/weight. I am glad the peach season is over.

8 Likes

When I grew Sweet Bagel, it was my latest peach. Delicious donut. I just couldn’t grow it because of horrendous bac. spot issues.

1 Like

We’d been pacing ourselves on the six PF-17’s, just savoring the flavor as it was the last of any fresh peaches we had on the counter.

Then my daughter gave us some very well sized up Elberta that were ripe enough that the skins came off very easy. The flavor however was next to nothing. So I have eighteen of them on the counter and am not too excited about that :slight_smile:

This morning I go outside after a lot of heavy wind last night and find four Madison on the ground (My initial thought was tree rats had breached my security…) but, there are zero marks on the four fallen peaches. It was wind.

I looked over and only saw one of the two Reliance peaches in the tree, walked over and the other was on the ground. I felt like these peaches were a ways away, given they are mostly yellow with only like 10% blush. But when I picked it up I put it to my nose and it was “peachy” as well as slight give when I pressed.

Brought it in and cut it up alongside the last remaining PF17, and it may run counter to conventional wisdom, but both my wife and I thought the Reliance was the better tasting peach - by a lot.

Hardly a litmus test, as it was one peach - and in fairness to PF17, I thought of the meager six we had that this one wasn’t probably the best anyway.

But I’ve been very interested to find out what a Reliance would taste like since it’s supposed to be capable of making peaches despite some pretty brutal conditions. So I always felt like once this tree starts producing, maybe I can count on peaches from a hardy tree but maybe the taste won’t be the greatest.

I have to say, if it taste like this every year I’ll be giddy. I don’t however imagine they will be like this year in and year out. But I was pleasantly surprised from my first taste of Reliance peach :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

11 days later and they are starting to drop, so I picked some. Among the drops (some of which dropped when I was picking the others), most seemed very bland in the 8-10 brix range. I’ll keep trying a few more, but I’m not sure what bland peaches with good/juicy texture are good for. It could be a severe lack of thinning, though I under-thinned Carolina Gold by a similar amount in the past and while small, they were still very good. I haven’t started picking the CG yet, but will soon, so we can see if they are good again (also under-thinned). There are a few WR which are on a branch high up (better thinned and more sun), so I’ll need to give them a try to see what the up-side is.

I guess this is a lesson for next year. I won’t give up on White River due to this, but if it doesn’t get better next year, then I’ve got another mature rootstock for grafting…

Here are a few TangO II’s that I got at the farmer’s market last weekend. They were very good, with 14 brix, good size and a medium firm meaty texture.

They also gave me a few Sweet Cap to try (another white donut peach), which was OK, but not great. Not that much lower brix (maybe 13), but much less flavor than TangO II.

5 Likes

Bob,

I harvested a few Carolina Gold yesterday and they are huge and sweet with a little acid. I think I swap the scion with you a few years back. It is a keeper.

Tony

1 Like

Sweet bagel don’t look any worse then any other stonefruit this year…everything is spotty. I’ll have to cover these soon when the birds see them they are toast.

6 Likes

Double seed in a split pit from a reliable unknown. Still tasted good.

6 Likes

Praise the Lord! It’s a great day when I just discovered another decent-sized Red Baron peach on my tree after only being aware of 2 decent-sized peaches! They are in the same area, so I must have assumed the one was the other when I never noticed they were actually 2 there!

Late heavy snow took its toll. This is the first year to have ripe baby peaches. Bizarre! I only have 2-3 of these.

However, my Red Gold Nec faired pretty well and they usually ripen right after the peach. As much as I love my Red Baron peaches, the Red Gold Necs when fully ripe are the sweetest, most incredible fruit I grow.

10 Likes

This is the picture of my last Mary Jane peaches. They were very good. Very dense orange flesh, sweet with some acid. The most ripe peaches have red strikes in the flesh, like the one in the picture.

13 Likes

Those are very nice looking peaches…!!

3 Likes