Peach tree Borer Activity - Mid Atlantic Region

Just a heads up - I found one peach tree borer larvae in a wound today on a tree and saw one flying around my trees. I had a bad infestation last year, I will be spraying my trees tomorrow. I am in the central Virginia area, Piedmont region. I have been weed eating my trees over the past week and I have seen no other damage so far.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! :+1:

Thanks!

Don’t forget to also spray your nectarines and plums. Borers
attack them too.

1 Like

Dug out a Peach Tree borer today. It was deep, below the soil.

2 Likes

Found a borer hole with frass and finally got out to deal with it. Only tunnel went straight down (?) i dug and poked around all the tunnel walls and down to the base of it -about 2.25 inches. Never dug out a bug but end of the wire got shiny any gunky tho. What are the odds that i got it?
Never thought a tunnel would go downwards

Sounds like you got it … the tunnels usually go down in the winter, it is warmer down there.

2 Likes

@scottfsmith
Awesome! Thank u Scott!

I hate the buggers.
This is actually my first borer.

3 Likes

I put out the Peach tree borer lures a couple of days ago. It seems something was quite attracted to them. I probably should have gotten them out a couple of weeks ago.

Are those wasps? I lose massive crop to wasp and hornets every year. Whats the name of that trap. Looks pretty effective. Catching borers is a secondary bonus.

Looks like most of them are wasps to me as well.

@Robert and @sockworth They kind of look like wasps to me too. I confess I cannot really tell you what a dead peach tree borer looks like.

The term “wasp waist” comes to mind. Wasps have a narrow waist (incidentally also called petiole) between their thorax and abdomen. Wasps also have pronounced mandibles.

The peachtree borer is type of moth so they should have some moth-like characteristics.

I had a similar thing happen. I looked more carefully and they were not wasps, they were some other kind of borer… dogwood borer perhaps? Maybe look that one up and compare.

1 Like

sorry. I had forgotten to tell you about the trap. It is this one: Peach Tree Borer Moth Trap & Lure

1 Like