Peach variety, which one is this?

Calling all peach growers!!!
@Olpea, @scottfsmith, @alan, @fruitnut, et al.

I thought I had Winblo peach grafted. The total yellow peaches without any red is a giveaway that these are NOT Winblo. It tasted not very peachy, mildly sweet.

Is this a rootstock peach variety? If so, which one is this? Lovell, Guardian, Halford, or?

2 Likes

It’s an apricot.

Just kidding, but that actually is what it looks like in the photo before you cut it. It looks fuzzless. Aren’t peach rootstocks produced from seed? That would make them all producers of unique fruit even if peaches come much closer to seed than apples (especially if they are self fertilized).

There are very few peach varieties that ripen in Oct where you are. My Victorias are all but done.

My husband calls it No Win Blow :smile:

I bought 3 Winblo trees about 4-5 years ago. I planted one, gave one to my buddy and one to my neighbor.

Mine never thrived and died. The rootstock survived. My buddy’s tree died from voles eating the roots. I thought my neighbor’s Winblo survived. So, two years ago, I took several scionwood from that tree. Now, I realize that my neighbor’s Winblo died, too.

Needless to say, we got triple (no win) blows.

1 Like

I dunno. I would expect it would be unusual (although of course possible) to have a seedling that colorless.

I haven’t grown out a whole lot of seedlings, but the one’s I’ve grown out have all had some red.

To me it looks like one of those antique varieties, which was perhaps preserved for it’s unique characteristics.

Something like JM Mack.

I still have about 20 Autumn Star on the tree. They are ripe but I have no room to keep them so I let them hang on the tree as long as they can.

1 Like

I wish it was sweet. It was neither sweet nor melting.

Alan was right that at a glance, they looked like apricots.

That’s very interesting, it’s supposed to be earlier than Victoria, but Vic, like most peaches, drop when they get ripe. The exception are some new varieties like White Lady that are bred to stay firm and be picked firm to ripen indoors, but they still eventually soften and drop.

All of my late peaches drop when ripe. I am growing an Autumn Stat to be an orchard tree based on Mark’s recs. If he likes a particular peach I will at least try it. The few peaches on it never made it to maturity.

Winblo was surprisingly good this year, probably because there were a few warm clear days as it ripened. The relatively light crop had to help also- I didn’t have to thin it at all but peaches got so big the tree looked about right with crop by harvest time.

In the past I believe it ripened with Earnie’s Choice, but this year it was early, with TangO’s or John Boy if my tree hadn’t finally died (there was fruit from it in the nursery).

Most of them are ready to drop with a light touch. They drop when ripen.

They have fared better than PF 24 C regarding rot. PF24 C ripened in the midst of lengthy wet weeks. Most had some rot. Autumn Star started ripening 7-10 days later. They don’t suffer as much rot. Neither tasted as good as in direr years,

If it were other gardeners, they may have picked them all by last weekend. I just let them hang on. I am in no rush to pick them. However, they may all drop by this weekend. They are all in organza bags so many did not drop to the ground, just hanging on branches. Another benefit of bagging.

This pic was taken 5 mins ago.