Peach wine

I ended up with about 200 peaches but due to a lot or rain some of them started splitting and were super juicy. I decided to take 50 of the biggest, ripest, juiciest peaches and make peach wine. It will make 5 gallons, which equates to about 30 bottles of wine. This picture is the carboy in its fifth day of fermentation. It is currently in my bathroom because that is the only place in my house under 72 degrees. Later this week I will rack the wine into another carboy for several months and plan to keep it in my friend’s basement to avoid temperature swings.

1 Like

I vented peaches into wine years ago. Everyone thought it was good but I have come to the conclusion that I love peach flavored wine but I do not like peach wine it self. Your batch is looking lovely I hope it comes out well.

1 Like

Did you back sweeten once fermentation was complete? Did you add potassium sorbate at the end of fermentation? I’ve never done this before, with the exception of making hard apple cider two years ago. The cider tasted like a dry white wine and was just okay.

For this wine I adjusted for tannins and pH and added pectin enzyme. I am also going to add sugar before bottling because when I think peach wine, I think sweetness, not dryness.

Yes and Yes, What you describe is exactly what I did. When you back sweeten, dont use sugar. Turn the sugar into simple syrup first.

1 Like

Will do. Any recommendation on the amount of sugar to add?

Man that would be like taking a picture of a pot of soup and asking how much pepper to add.

You can always use the Kool-Aid rule of thumb. 2 cups of sugar per gallon will be as sweet as standard Kool-Aid. Assuming a completely dry fermentation.

1 Like

Perfect timing! My brother and law and I are debating making the rest of our
Reliance peaches into wine or not. I say no and he says yes. He makes just wonderful wine from all the tart cherries I grow (real blue ribbon winner), but the
peach wine he did last year was just drinkable but not spectacular. He was heartbroken when I told him that but I would rather can the rest of the crop up instead.

He is persistent so he says we need to discuss more after picking peaches tonight. He claims all he needs is about 30 pounds of peaches for a batch of wine.

We had a poor cherry crop this year so not much wine being made on that crop.

having made and tasted other 100% peach wines. Peaches just don’t make a great wine on there own. Do you have any of last years left? I would try mixing it with hard apple cider to see if there is any synergy there.

You are bumming me out kiwi.

My brother in law is a really good home brewer. He recommended adding white grape juice to back sweeten after adding potassium metibisulfate.

I’ve never had peach wine, but I’d figure I’d give it a try since I had so many peaches. As long as its drinkable I can give it as Xmas presents and look impressive.

I was planning on making persimmon wine in the fall because I have access to as many Saijo Asian persimmons as I can get.

It will be drinkable but I agree with your brother-in-law blend it.

1 Like

What do you do to the peaches before fermentation? I assume pit them first. Then do they get juiced like an apple would? Or do you blend them and ferment the pulp?

I took out the pits and the harder parts around the pits, then cut them up into about one inch cubes, nothing too exact. I put the cubes into a mesh bag and squeezed out as much juice as I could but left the pulp and skin in the bag. The bag of pulp is also left in the fermentation vessel. You add pectin enzyme which helps break down the pulp. The fermentation is not just peach juice because water and sugar are added to make a volume of 5 gallons.

The instructions specifically state not to blend the peaches with a blender.

I do exactly what @growjimgrow did. You dont blend the peaches because you do not want to create surface area that can give covered in air bubbles. the CO2 generated by the mash is diffrent from AIR that can give contamination places to grow.

Have you made any other types of fruit wine Kiwi? Which is your favorite?

I would use 50-70 lbs of peach for a 5 gallon batch, 15 tsp of pectic enzymes and 10 tsp of tartaric acid. During the overnight enzymatic treatment, I keep temperature at 113F, then get the brix reading in the morning and add only enough sugar to get the final brix at 22-24. This way, it would be the most peachy wine ever!

Our Indian Blood Peach makes excellent Rosé colored wine…

1 Like

you can also add a little water and distill the pomace to extract the peach essence in an oil distiller over low heat, and then mix it with the final wine… or you can drink the spirit itself… Don’t tell the Feds about it.

1 Like

Banana, Tomato, Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Strawberry and peach and pumpkin.

1. Banana, Banana wine suppresses the most people. The texture of banana is gone. And the flavor is metamorphized into something wonderful.

2. Pumpkin, I collect uncut pumpkins after Halloween. Pumpkin is hard to brew due to all of the fiber but everyone loves the final product. Adding seasonings and you have pumpkin pie wine very versatile

3. Strawberry, I mean its strawberry

4. Tomato, this was an experiment with a box of soon to be bad fruit. the end product was great, tasted nothing like tomato juice which I was afraid of. I sweetened it to much which I regretted.

5. Watermelon, This is something you brew for drunkards. Watermelon wine takes all the sugar you throw at it and ferments it it all. All my drunk friends loved it but I know I could do better.

6. Peach, see above. Its very much wine just the flavor is not better then the fruit juice it started from

7. Cantaloupe. I am just playing around with a small batch. I added to much acid blend and it needs balance. I plan to add apple juice and do a second fermentation to see If I can get something nice.

2 Likes

I used half that and the wine did not lack flavor.

You can always use a lot less but for me, the highest quality fruit wines uses a lot more quality fruits. The body would be extraordinary and the finish everlasting on the palate. I won’t settle for anything mediocre if I have an abundance of fruits. If I intend to sell the wines, then diluting it to good enough level is okay for greater profit margins, but for personal consumption and satisfaction, the more fruits I can cram into that bottle, the better. That’s just my preference, and it is just a suggestion that you don’t need to follow.

To date, I have made more than 600 different kinds of fruit wines. I even made wines from avocado leaves and durian. They’re all excellent for the intended clients. My consistent double gold medal winners are wines made from flowers such as Jasmine petals, Hibiscus, Elderberry, Dandelion, Citrus Blossoms, Ternatea…

1 Like