Pear disease and Insect identification

Badger,
To me, Blake’s Pride does not taste that good. I grafted many other varieties on it so I don’t have to remove the tree.

I really like Harrow Sweet and Potomac. I don’t know about Gem but I like your new choices.

By the way, just learned that a badger is a mascot of U of WI in Madison, My D is there for the summer now and already bought a stuffed toy badger for souvenir.

2 Likes

Madison is a good school and city. I went there for graduate school and then stayed in Madison for work. I still work in Madison but have moved out to the suburbs.

3 Likes

Hello, today I found this on our Dr. Jules Guyot Pear. I looked at the provided links ( thanks @clarkinks for posting them) and it seems they are pear blister mites.

It is a young tree ( planted in spring 2019) and while I now remember the same damage from last year it was certainly not as severe and appeared later when little pears had already formed (they all fell off). I wasn’t too unhappy about it because the tree was to young to bear anyway but now I’m scared that this much leaf damage is going to stunt the tree. The guides talk about oil in spring or sulfur in fall. The problem is that I have no plant protection products AT ALL and now with the situation don’t even want to try to get something. Now my questions: Is there still time for oil? Does it have to be a mineral oil or has somebody a recipe for a homemade brew? I’ll try anything because anything will be better than leaving it as it is…Thanks!

3 Likes

A common condition with pears not treated is that I get these stone-like knots in the fruit close to the skin. The fruit is also dimpled-in where these knots occur.

Provided the fruit doesn’t drop early, I consider these knots for of a cosmetic problem, similar to curculio scars on apples. One can eat around them, but they are annoying when slicing pears for freezing.

But bug causes these, if this is an insect damage? Nothing turns up in a general search. If I decide to spray the pears, I like to know what pest I am fighting so I use the right insecticide and apply it at the right time.

1 Like

I have a problem with my pear and don’t know whats going on.
Recently we’ve had a frost and temps in the mid 80’s.
I sprayed copper, lime sulfur and dormant oil prior to the leaves emerging. I have sprayed twice since leaf emergent with Dithane M-45 and micronized sulfur.
Generally it has been cool, dry and low humidity. One inch of rain in three weeks.
Last year the tree had a similar problem and I thought it was scab, and thought I’d be proactive this year. Can anyone help me with a diagnosis?pear disease 4 pear disease 5 pear disease 7 pear disease 8

sis.?

1 Like

I think its Pear Psylla. Acetamiprid(sp?) has worked for me. Surround can control it. I haven’t used that but I may do so this year.

1 Like

Thanks Herb for sharing. I shot the tree with liquid diatomaceous earth today because it is what I had on hand.

1 Like

This is a nice thread. FYI, most of the links are broken (404’s)

1 Like

What could those damages be on my pears in the picture? Stings from any insects? This occures every year on maybe 15-20% of my harvest.

1 Like

Do you have stink bug in your orchard?

1 Like

It could be stink bugs, i’ve seen some Palomena prasina but the aren’t many, could wasps cause this damaged fruit?

1 Like

Could be. Don’t know what kind of wasps you have in your location. The wasps in my yard will eat the pear ,not just a sting

1 Like

I’ll investigate it furher and observe the green stink bugs i’ve seen.
What are the methods to control stink bugs? Which substance are most effective?

1 Like

I used trap. It trapped some but not all. Pesticides should be effective but I am reluctant to use. It kills good guys and bad guys all together. So I bag all my pears which seems work so far

1 Like

How do your traps look like? Do you catch many stink bugs?

1 Like

Google stink bug trap you should see some related products. Got put the lure . I saw it trapped some stink bugs when I used it in my yard

1 Like

Correct stinkbugs

Totally normal stink bug damage even curcs scar up pears at times then are crushed as the fruit grow rapidly.

Clark how do you control stink bug? Which substance are most effective to spray?
How’s your experience of traps?

1 Like

Traps are the way to go. My problem with them is limited. Don’t mind an occasional pear marked up and stink bugs are not well established in my orchard.