Pear ID help (sold as Patten)

Maybe someone might recognize this pear. It was sold to me as Patten pear, but I think it’s not. It doesn’t look like the pics of Patten on the USDA site. USDA says Patten is a very late pear. These pears didn’t seem terribly late as I picked them Sept 10 in south central Nebraska and about the same time as some red bartletts (Olympic Giant was picked Oct 1 but that was a few days too late). These pears do not separate from the tree when flipped to a 90 when ripe. Instead, the stem will pull right off the pear and stay on the tree (as you can see from one pear in the pic). I cut the others off with clippers. Wasps and other things were tearing them up, some were quite mushy on top, and not a one was on the ground, and they wouldn’t let go easily from the tree. I didn’t care for them, but possibly because I didn’t get to them in time. If anyone has any ideas what these would be, I would love to hear it. Hoping that the taper on the neck is a give away. Some of these pears had frost rings (as did some of my other varieties).

4 Likes

As your aware thats not patten.

Patten (PI 541241). -Originated in Charles City, Iowa, by the late C.G. Patten. Named and Introduced in 1922 by H.L. Lantz, Iowa State College. Orel 15 x Anjou; selected probably about 1915. Fruit: large; juicy; if picked 7 to 10 days before maturity, it ripens well and has excellent quality for dessert; fair as a canned product. Tree: among the hardiest of largefruited varieties; valuable only in the colder areas of the Upper Mississippi Valley where Bartlett, Anjou, and other standard varieties cannot be grown; moderately resistant to fire blight. A good variety for the home orchard and for local markets. - Brooks and Olmo Register of Fruit and Nut Varieties

patten

Information obtained here
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail?id=1436177
It appears to be a pear with old home genetics. It looks just like farmingdale i grow but that is highly unlikely since they are ultra rare. Look at the fruit i grew here you would be convinced its yours fooling even experts for decades. The ohxf cross has no farmingdale in it im told after they did genetic testing Growing the Farmingdale pear for seedling rootstocks! - #7 by clarkinks

Most notably the neck of old home and farmingdale are very similar. The graft likely died on that pear and you are growing rootstock fruit.

2 Likes

Thanks! I got two of these trees before I started just grafting most things myself. A little frustrating because with pears, it can take a few years before an error like this is discovered. Issues like this convinced me to just graft things myself. I heavily grafted both of the trees over as frankentrees this spring and they took the euro grafts very well. Hopefully they will be on their way to producing something usable now!

1 Like

@snowflake

Yes within 2 - 3 years you will be eating very different pears

1 Like