Pear identification help

Can anyone help me ID these Pears. I bought my house 3 years ago and these trees were already planted. The previous owners only lived here 2 years and I believe they planted 2 of the trees in question. They seem to have only shopped at HD so I would assume these are where the trees came from. So they would be something common I assume. The owners before that lived here for about 50 years and planted one of the other trees in question. I would assume this tree is around 20 years old

(4 pear grouping)-. Planted about 5 years ago suspected to be from HD. Pears just passed tilt test today. I think this might be Anjou?

(3 pear grouping )- Planted about 20 years ago, maybe more looks the same as the 4 pear group. Fruits heavily every year and I can never get them to ripen. Maybe they need chilling? They seem to hang almost until frost if left untouch, but I can not get them to ripen on the counter. Some fruits are naturally dropping now, but we had heavy hail earlier this year, so I am not sure if they were damaged. I should have kept better notes in previous years. I also assume this is Anjou, but I am not sure why the second owner would plant the same tree other than maybe ignorance.

(2 pear grouping)- Also believed to have been planted 5 years ago and from Home Depot. Tree is about 15 feet tall and this is the first time fruitimg. Only have 6 pears total on tree. These Pears are pretty small, but I was thinking they were maybe Bartlett. Pears passed tilt test today,but no pears have fallen to the ground naturally yet. This seems some what late for Bartlett according to the ACN ripening chart.

Any help would very much be appreciated. Now I just need to figure out how to ripen them all.

3 Likes

This is just a quick guess using tired eyes and a smart phone, most pears look like kieffer and the bottom left look similar to harrow sweet. I do not think harrow sweet is likely but that is without seeing leaves based on shape and ripening time.

I can get leaf pics tonight!

1 Like

I agree with Clark on the keiffer guess. They stay hard on the tree and in our climate eventually get adequately sweet to be edible when they turn yellow at around mid to late OCT. The oldest pears around are them and they flower before leafing out making them about the most beautiful. They used to be used for canned pears. Just add sugar and the pears do the rest because they do have flavor and hold texture after being cooked.

No way Home Depot carried Harrow Sweet and Bartlett would seem likely but would have been ripe earlier, I think. Anjou is something widely carried with Bartlett and Moonglow being the other two. I don’t have experience with Moonglow.

4 Likes

Once we see the leaf pictures it may give us more of a clue.

I think you guys are right about the Kieffer.

!

IMG_20190927_180513|690x919

2 Likes

This sounds and looks familiar, I was just going to post a new thread. Excuse me for the Hijack
The part about them being hard, I have always wondered if they ever ripen. Never remember there being many pears on the tree, but this year :grin: My father bought this property in 69 and this tree was there. It is planted in the yard, in the mountains at about 3000’
Kieffer?
EOS%20Rebel%20SL2_1585a

3 Likes

@MountainMan
Im not sure what it is but its not kieffer.

The fruit is currently hard as a rock, heavy and dragging the branches down. I cut it back last year, and this is the most fruit I have ever seen on this tree.

EOS%20Rebel%20SL2_1586a

4 Likes

I grafted a pear scion in 2019 and this year it’s flowering. I’ve lost the tag but reading my notes I know what’s on that branch is either Seckel or Magness. The buds have a pinkish color to them, haven’t opened yet. Any guess as to which one is flowering for me? Which one is eager to flower and fruit out of the two? Thanks.

Re: above, here’s a picture of fruitlets if it helps to ID this. Thanks.

3 Likes

Seckel would be my opinion. They produce in clusters, same colored fruitlets and so on. Seckle is very unique as shown below

Magness / Warren look like the fruitless below

4 Likes

Can’t wait to taste Seckel this year then. (Hopefully)

1 Like

@Susu
The seckel will look like this later in August when they are close to ripe. The ones in the picture had around a month to go. They are very small here. They are the smallest pear I grow.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pictures. I picked Seckel at a you-pick once around here and they were very small too. Really sweet though. This year I have 4 different pear varieties fruiting ( though Seckel is just one cluster it counts as fruiting :slightly_smiling_face:) I also got harrow sweet, harrow delight and duchess fruiting this year. Not a whole lot but still something to look forward too.

1 Like