Pear on Northern Spy

A friend told pears can be grafted onto N. Spy apple and although they peter out and fail awhile the limbs will fruit quickly for several years beforehand. Anyone heard or tried this?

4 Likes

Don’t know about that, but I understand that a Winter Banana interstem might allow the pear graft to survive indefinitely. Haven’t done it myself, but I think that some other folks here have.

2 Likes

I wonder if there are a lot of other apple varieties that would work on pear but no one has tried them? If so, then could really go to town top-working nasty Callery pear volunteers.

1 Like

I know that Mountain Ash will support Pear, but it’s not a long lasting relationship.
Why do it?

I’ve put several pear varieties on mountain ash for its cold-hardiness. Many of the varieties died in their first winter, but not all. Seems to be significant differences in compatibility. I believe Carlin, a member from British Columbia, said mountain ash was a standard pear rootstock where he is at, with some trees there being about 80 years old.

1 Like

Hawthorne works for the Medlar, but get one that doesn’t sucker profusely, Like M7 apple.

1 Like