Pear rust on bartlett pear tree?

I just noticed a few leaves with reddish spots, which looks like pear rust to me? I’m wondering if you’ve had this, and what you’ve found to be the best treatment. Thanks.

2 Likes

Doesn’t really look like rust. Almost looks like blister mites.

2 Likes

Agreed look like pear blister mite damage.

2 Likes

I had the same and a treatment of sulphur did the trick.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks everyone for your eyes on this. I’ll look into treatment with sulphur, any other thoughts on what to use?

1 Like

This thread is a bit old but the info about treatments of pear blister mites are still accurate.

Pear blister mites - #22 by Matt_in_Maryland.

2 Likes

Thanks, judging from the link you sent me, there’s not much I can do until just before leaf drop or the following late winter before bud break, is that right?

1 Like

Some people may spray it with micronized sulfur. If it were me, I just let it go and spray after leaves drop and again at a delayed dormant stage in the spring.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, sounds just like treatment for peach leaf curl.

1 Like

I don’t use sulfur for peach leaf curl. I use copper (Kocide 3000) and spray at full dormant. For pear bliser mites, I use lime-sulfur at a delayed dormant stage.

When you use sulfur to spray for both, you need to find out the timing of it for each issue you have. Right spray, wrong time, it won’t work, either.

Read the label, it usually tell you when to treat what.

2 Likes