Pear varieties I can't do without!

I may sound like a broken record but it is factual that the pears that grow well and taste for me may not do well for you.

I don’t have pears that I cannot do with out. I like several E pears including Abbe Fetel, Comice, Concorde, Fondante, Magness, Potomac, Here was my view on several of them here ( if you have not seen the thread yet)

I look forward to trying Docteur Deportes, Aurora and Tyson.

2 Likes

It is a good point always worth bringing up @mamuang but I need ideas for some great pears. That way I can trial them for myself and figure out if I like them :+1:

1 Like

I have Magness and Giant Korean, recommended and bought through Century Farms here in NC. So far they are growing well, hoping to get a taste of them one of these days. :wink:

2 Likes

I have a couple KG grafts on one of my trees already and Magness is one that I have rrad about on here quite a bit :+1:

I really love White Doyenne and Dana’s Hovey.

3 Likes

Added to the list and will do research on those 2 @marknmt

1 Like

What rootstocks are you using? I’m trying several different varieties but they are all really young, so I’m likewise wondering what timeframe I’ll be waiting for. Mine are mostly on OHxF 87, but this year I hope to try some harbin roots too.

1 Like

@Poncho65,
Be careful not to pick vrieties that are fire blight susceptible in your area. It can wipe out your hard work in no time.

In my yard, I love Fondante, Harrow Sweet and Ayers. I hope to taste more varieties this year.

For Asian, I have 6-7 varieties. My best are Korean Giant and Shinseiki.

My Hosui and Kosui would have produced better quality pears if they get more sun.

Do not plant pears or most fruit trees in a partial shade area if you want they to produce their best quality fruit.

2 Likes

OHxF 97 and Ussurian

1 Like

I will watch for fireblight. I just need to figure out what is more susceptible for it in my area :thinking:

I guess I need to put what varieties I already have and what I have and will be grafting this year.

I have a Kieffer, an Anjou, a couple Ayers as trees already. I have grafted some Korean Giant, Harrow Delight and Moonglow and will graft more of those plus Seckel, Harrow Sweet, Orient and Hood. Seems like some great varieties to get started with and I have 20 Bet rootstocks headed this way for grafting those :+1:

@auburn probably can tell you more about more “southern” pears like Moonglo, Orient, Kieffer, Hood.

I think you should try varieties suggested by Scott Smith who lives in MD, zone 6b/7a.

I have high hope for Aurora, Potomac, Tyson, Abbe Fetel and Docteur Desportes.

2 Likes

@Auburn was my scion source for all of these pears except Seckel and he may have taken into account where I live as to what he sent.

I will should have a good list hopefully by scion time next year.

1 Like

Do you have any Asian Pears growing in that line-up?

1 Like

I grafted Okolo last year. I don’t think any other Asian pears will survive occasional -40 temps. If you’re aware of some, I’d welcome the info.

2 Likes

I just recently learned that I don’t dislike Pears in general. The Seckel Pear (Off my friends tree) changed my mind the first bite and has continued to impress me, so now I own it! I bought a Moonglow to pollinate it but I won’t know about flavor till the end of summer. Now I’m in search of a very early and a very late, disease resistant variety. I considered Magness, but they appear to overlap and I’d prefer to spread them out.

Yes, the Seckel is small, but extremely productive, so you can eat 2 or 3 at a time and still have plenty.

-AO

1 Like

2 great varieties that I have and hopeful that the grafts take :+1:

For me it’s more about what will survive our winters in Z4. So far these have made it through a couple winters, but too early for fruiting yet: Ayers; Bartlett; Clapps; Colette; German A; Japanese Golden Russet; Kieffer; Luscious; Moonglow; Nijiseiki (aka 20th Century); Nova; Patten; Spartlett; Summer Blood; Summer Crisp; Winter Nellis. I’m sure some of these will be failures, but hoping for some successes!

2 Likes

I used to have only supermarket pears and was not that impressed. Once I’ve eaten pears directly from orchards and my own backyard, I appreciate them a lot more. I like smooth ( no grit), sweet pears. Aromatic is a plus.

As you may know, people say grow pears fort your heirs because typically it can take 10 years or more for pears to set fruit. The Harrow series set much earlier.

Nice list of pears there @AndySmith! I hope that they all work out for you :+1:

I don’t see much info on cold hardiness of the Asian pears. I’m in a warmer spot than you, as I’ve not seen -20 for several years. Unfortunately the length of winter apparently kills some trees that seemingly should survive.

1 Like