Pear wood

Ok, this could be a little outside of using fruit but I will give it a try. Who better than a group of people with fruit trees to answer this type of question. After top working my pear tree I stood looking at the pile of pear wood and wondered if , once it was seasoned , it could be good for smoking, grilling food. I already frequently use drops from my pecan tree and I figure some of you folks would have tried this with ur pruned wood.

1 Like

Absolutely! Lots of people say pear is the best smoking wood for pork but it’s not as easy to find as apple. I like Apple, Cherry , and pear for pork and chicken and hickory and pecan for beef.

2 Likes

Love me that applewood-smoked bacon!

1 Like

A woodworker friend got the wood of a downed callery pear (awful invasive around here). In addition to many carving projects, he made plans from it and we cooked salmon over an open fire. Think cedar-planked salmon, but not cedar.
Yum.

4 Likes

I burn callery in my wood burning stove. It burns very well. Not as good as oak or hickory but pretty good and free due to the constant supply of blowdowns. It has a somewhat bad smell so I’m not sure about cooking.

3 Likes

Callery is great wood for woodturning.

3 Likes

Pear is a beautiful wood, very hard, very fine-grained; with the right finishing (very fine sandpaper) it shows a pearlescent quality. It’s even pear-colored! Its fine grain and hardness make it suitable for use as a temporary bearing block. Lovely stuff.

3 Likes