Pecan leaves for mulch

I just ordered all my plants for my new property and was going to get my land ready for the raspberries, blackberries, grapes and blueberries and was wondering if I could use the leaves from my pecan trees to mulch the trellis areas and around my plants? I’m buying a pull behind leaf vacuum/mulcher and there will be pecans and wood chips as well with the leaves. Any for seen future problems with the pecans mixed in the mulch?

4 Likes

I would definitely not use them around young plants.

1 Like

Yeah, but not nearly the death sentence that walnuts are…I’d avoid any members of the nightshade family when using pecan compost. Otherwise, I’d probably try it and see what happens.

1 Like

Little reading I found that pecan husk are acid rich and good around blueberries and some fruit trees. I didn’t have time to pick up the pecans on the 13 acres this year so I will use that mulch around the acid rich plants and my oak leaves around my other plants. Next year I will have someone picking the pecans up so I will use just the dead leaves next year.

I think all the cracked pecan in the yard are causing a lot of bugs? I have tones of little flies, snails and flying cockroaches in the grass, but that another issue.

Blueberries are listed as being sensitive to Juglone . The pecan leaves are A valuable source of organic matter. But caution is in order.

1 Like

I just read that blackberries and raspberries have a resistance to Juglone but another site says they are sensitive? It also says that some pecan have less levels so I might need to find out what pecan trees I have? Thanks for the heads up, lucky me, more research.

1 Like

I suppose we will find out. I have seven 2 gallon sized blueberries in containers sitting all summer (and will set all winter) under the overhanging limbs of a black walnut tree, on the south side of the tree. The leaf litter has not been removed and is pretty well covering the plants at this time. Up to now, I was impressed that these plants produced the most fruit of anything I have this year (owing to late freezes last spring), not that the young blueberry plants in pots produced a big crop, but they were a good nibble over a 3 month period.

I have other blueberry plants in containers that get part day shade from a building they sit near. They also cropped, even if not heavily, as they usually do. I have others that didn’t do much…older plants, but were not watered except by rainfall…sitting in containers under dying ash trees.

1 Like