Pecan varieties resistant to heat shock

Several growers in the southeast planted Lipan. Scab magnet. Surprisingly, it is reasonably productive in Kentucky and parts of the midwest.

1 Like

Hi Darrell.
For his quality , in my region with a very dry climate and less probability of suffering from scab, and due to its medium early harvest, Lipan is a variety that is among the interesting ones for me.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Yes, it has potential in your climate Jose. It performs very well in dry climates with irrigation. Staziak lives in Georgia USA with a hot humid climate. It has been tried by a few growers in his area. Diseases make it unproductive though growers who spray can grow it. Pawnee is one of the parents and is widely grown in Georgia by growers who spray. The problem with growing Lipan is that scab adapts to a variety over time. Pawnee was at first described as scab tolerant. Within a few years, Pawnee became so scab susceptible that it is more affected than Desirable. Lipan will likely follow the same path. In a dry climate, this is not a concern.

https://cgru.usda.gov/CARYA/PECANS/Lipan.htm

1 Like

Hi Darrell.
As I had Riverside rootstock, and for well-known reasons, I could not obtain the cuttings of the varieties that interested me, my friend Antonio Benito from Spain , sent me cuttings of his Pawnee and Caddo varieties, so that I could test the grafting of the pecan tree.
I can guarantee you two things:

• Grafting the pecan tree using the 3 flap system by placing a grow protective tube (acts as a greenhouse, regulating the temperature and preventing solar radiation), is child’s play and the success rate is 100%.
  • Pawee and Cado develop in my climate grafted on Riverside like two champions (they have a lack of vegetative growth in the months of July and August due to excess heat, it is normal, and in spring and at this time they have great vegetative development ).

Both adapt very well to my soil and climate conditions.
Neither of them present symptoms of leaf scorch.

If there are no setbacks, next spring will be a great pecan tree grafting campaign.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Hello everyone, i’m new on this forum and thread. Sorry if my english is bad, it’s because i’m French :slight_smile: I discovered this thread yesterday and readed it carefully cause it’s full of information.
I live clause from Carcassonne south france, near mediterranean climate but not close to the see at 500m of altitude. I want to plant pecans here. It’s now 2/3 years that summer are so long that i think it worth the try. But it’s difficult to find the right cultivar. In France i can find easily mahan, kiowa, cape fear, cheyenne and wichita at a decent price. I can find pawnee but very expensive. I tried to contact 2/3 nursery in Spain without getting any answers… Do you think it can work with those varieties? (i’ll plant a few trees as a test not an orchad). I think they will maybe not be able to give fruits every years but i want to try…
If someone have a nursery in Europe who can help me that could be great too :slight_smile:
thank you very much for your help!!!

1 Like

vince11, can you describe your climate a bit? I think you have cool summers and relatively warm winters, in other words, a Mediterranean climate. Do you have more than 2 months with average daily temperature below 7C?

Here is a thread that gives several European sources of pecan trees. Posts 151 and 152 have the info including one in France.

1 Like

Hi Darrell.
As far as I know there are only three varieties available in Europe, really good for our climate:

In the Spanish Fruitex nursery:

• Pawnee
  • Caddo

In the French Dubosc nursery:

• Lakota (now this variety is not available)
  • Kanza ( now this variety is not available )
    The rest of the available varieties are not suitable for the reasons that we have talked about many times:
  • Very late harvest
  • High susceptibility to scab and aphids
  • Alternation or overload of harvest

It is the big problem in Europe, the lack of varieties suitable for our climates.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Have you checked here?

1 Like

Hi! Thanks both of you for your answer!
@ Darrel. The climate here is not mediterranean, it’s oceanic but very close to the limit of mediterranean climate. Summer are hot and longer every year… Spring can be rainy so scab can be a problem.
Yes i checked the dutch nursery i tried to send mail to them several times but they never answered, i don’t know why… That’s really bad cause they have a great collection of trees, not only pecans!
@ Jose. I know “le bosc” but their trees are crazy expensive and i heard bad things about them, i never bought a tree there so maybe those rumors are false… Fruitex is not answering me and “quercus vivero” neither. I don’t know why no one want to sell me trees haha.
Thank you once again!

1 Like

Darrell, the Dutch don’t have much either, there is only the Kanza variety as interesting

Furthermore, the Dutch are very expensive, it happens like the Frances Dubosc nursery, where they ask you 70 Euros for a grafted pecan tree.

Vince, for your conditions the two main premises will be:

• Scab resistant varieties
  • Very early maturing varieties

Darrell will advise you on good varieties for your conditions.

In this thread there has been a lot of talk about this type of early maturing and scab resistant varieties.

I have a lot of friendship with Ramon Rovira, the owner of Fruitex nurseries, the pecan trees from this nursery cost around 15 euros.
This winter I have to buy rootstocks, so if you let me know in December I will order Pawnee and Caddo for you.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Ok so if the dutch is so expensive i can’t afford it… Too bad
I’ll read once again the thread but the problem is that even if i found a good variety, there’s no nursery to sell it and nursery from the usa can’t send trees in th EU.
Thank you so much for your offer José thatt would be very very nice! I’ll try to phone there cause if i can buy the trees straight from them that could be easier. Anyway thank you once again!

1 Like

We are working on ways to get some scionwood into the EU of more desirable varieties.

Here are some varieties to consider:

1. Adams #5
  2. Amling
  3. Hark
  4. Kanza
  5. Lakota
  6. Oswego

In addition, check out the new varieties newly released by Bill Reid.

If you have Excel, you can pull a copy of the pollination spreadsheet which is posted on my website.

http://www.selectedplants.com/miscan/PecanPollination.xlsm

Jose is interested in getting Lipan as it is potentially viable for his climate. Lipan is not likely to maintain scab resistance long term, but this is not a major concern in an arid climate.

1 Like

Thank you Darrel! I know his blog and most of the cultivar could work in my climate but the problem is to find it here… So if you find a way to send scion wood here i’ll be more than interested :slight_smile:
The excell file seems to be full of information, let me a few days to check that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Vince that excel table, it is the bible of the pecan tree, since cross-pollination is essential, and it will help you choose the fruiting varieties and their appropriate pollinators.
It is difficult to choose varieties that meet all the requirements, especially in your climate with a lot of ambient humidity.
Cheer up, you will grow pecan trees.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Thank you Jose, i’ll read it carefully!

1 Like

Darrell, the person who seeks, always finds.
I have discovered a nursery in Hungary with interesting varieties.

Take a good look at the varieties they have and tell me which varieties would interest for me (very arid climate with very long summers), and which ones are suitable for Vince (humid climate with shorter summers), so we both buy the right varieties for the two of us.

Vince, this Hungarian nursery is tremendously expensive, since each grafted pecan tree is worth 4,500 Hungarian florins, but if we translate it into euros or dollars it is 12 euros or dollars hahahahahaha

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Here are a few to consider. Carefully check them and see if you think they are worth your time and effort. Creek, Lipan, Major, and Pawnee are protandrous. Excel, Kanza, Lakota, and Wichita are protogynous.

Creek
Excel - Matures mid-October
Kanza
Lakota
Lipan
Major
Pawnee
Wichita

Major, Kanza, and Lakota are good possibilities for Vince11.

1 Like

Darrel now it is mid-October and in my region the Kerman pistachio is being harvested and everything is in a vegetative state and with temperatures of 30° Celsius (86° Fahrenheit) and we will still have these temperatures until the end of October (it is usual), so Excel will adapt well to my climate.
As always I have a question for you.
Why haven’t you included the Mandan variety?

https://pecanbreeding.uga.edu/cultivars/alphabetical-list/mandan.html

It is resistant to scab, and early maturing.

Have alternate harvest, or overload ?

Regards
Jose

1 Like

I like well filled pecans. Mandan often fails to fill properly. Also, it scabs pretty bad anywhere outside of Texas. It might work in your climate, but I would only graft one or two trees and find out if it is worth growing.

https://pecanbreeding.uga.edu/cultivars/alphabetical-list/mandan.html

Also, There are many other varieties to grow, many of which are better and more reliable.

1 Like

wowww thank you Jose this nursery seems to have a lot of cultivars. Hope they’ll be ok to send trees in France and Spain! Thank you Darrel for the varieties advice! Do you think pawnee will not be ok for me? The harvest is quite early, and it seems to be ok for scabs, did i miss something?
And a question i tried to send a link in the thread but it seems to be impossible. Is there something to do?

1 Like