Pecan walnut leafs browning

Hello!! Anybody knows what happens to my pecan trees? The soil is wet (i water them twice a week, 40 litres for each tree). I don’t see insects. Maybe a nutritional disease ? Here the temperatures reach to 115 °F (46°C).

1 Like

115 °F ! You must be in a state such as New Mexico.

I’m not an expert on this but could it be pecan bacterial leaf scorch?

https://extension.msstate.edu/publications/pecan-bacterial-leaf-scorch

1 Like

What type soil are you growing pecans in? We have a recent thread on growing pecans in Portugal where the problem was identified as genetics. Riverside rootstock was the solution. Elliott is also a rootstock adapted to calcareous soils.

Best suggestion, get a soil test and post the Ph. If it is 7.0 or above, all the water in the world won’t help if the rootstock is unadapted.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know if it’s due to bacteria. Could be. They sprout very well, but over time those leaves become like the ones in the photo and finally fall. Regarding the ph, I have not measured it but my area is not acidic. Therefore, it is somewhat calcareous. In addition, salinity may be above normal. Could I correct this with the Riverside rootstock? I would have to look for it in Spain, but I think it is possible.

1 Like

Riverside rootstock will resolve many of the problems you are having. Two others would be good possibilities.

Elliott is a very well proven rootstock for a broad range of soils including those with high salinity and high pH. The only negative with Elliott is a tendency to break buds very early in spring. This may not be desirable in your climate.

Lakota is another that would work. It produces very vigorous seedlings with much better cold tolerance. The only negative is that it is not as well adapted to high pH soils.

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I’ll see if I can get one of those rootstocks in Spain.

1 Like