Pecan

Lucky, got any pictures of your nut harvests this year? I just want to be jealous.

Dax

No photos at present. Still picking up pecans every day… climbed up in a couple here in the yard and shook out what I could, this morning.
Major, Kanza, Posey, and GreenRiver are oldest grafted trees here, and producing the best.
Have gathered probably 15-20 gallons of Major nuts, but there are still a bunch hanging in the oldest (20yr) tree, the one Posey tree in the yard produced about 5 gallons of nuts, the Kanza in the yard also produced 5-7 gallons. Greenriver… fewer, and I’m saving them and Converse Major nuts for rootstock and outplanting purposes.

Couple of young grafted Simpson #1 shellbark trees produced about 3 gallons of nuts, and I’ve gathered about 7 gallons each of Sinking Fork and Morris #1 shagbark nuts. Graft of Garnett shellbark, about 4 years old, produced a half-dozen nuts this year.

A number of younger grafted pecans planted flanking the driveway and in the second phase of the nutgrove here at the house bore nuts for the first(or second) year. Oswego, Jenkins, Mullahy, Chetopa, Jay Ford, Mohawk, Pawnee, Farmer’s Bank, Syrup Mill, I-10, Nacono, Hickory’s Major, NC-6, and Shults all produced small crops. Mohawk and Jay Ford probably the most disappointing; poor fill on Mohawk, severe scab on Jay Ford. Jenkins probably the most productive and something of a surprise(to me) for this group, all grafted and planted at the same time (I’ve forgotten when they went in).

Ran across a big productive seedling pecan on the campus of Western State Mental Hospital and Long-term Nursing facilty (wife and I are weekly ‘friendly visitors’ for residents at the long-term nursing care facility) yesterday. Tree still carrying full green foliage (dropping rapidly after freezes this week) and dropping a good crop of nice nuts somewhat resembling Jenkins, or the local ‘Witty’(not Witte) pecan, with thin shell and bright kernel. No evidence of scab. May have to graft a copy of this one next spring… I’ll see if I can wrangle a photo of nut, and maybe the tree next time I’m there.

3 Likes

Awesome harvest.

I ended up buying 10 pounds of Shepherd and Peruque for my Dad and I to split. No hickories hardly at all here this year. In fact the only one I ever get a few dozen from are Selbhers.

Burton hican produced okay but I only collected 50 or so.

This year was a poor year for production. I think I found one good Selbhers.

Thanks for the update/info. Congrats on your first round of bearers this year, Lucky.

Dax

That’s awesome you make time to visit those patients. You set a good example for many of us.

How would you rate the flavor and scab resistance of Syrup Mill? My tree is a baby, but I’m considering grafting one or two more for backups. With all the rain this year, I worry about the spot it’s in.

1 Like

I gathered a gallon of Syrup Mill pecans while at Raymond MS a month ago. The nuts are very good quality for eating. They are not very large which is a detriment in a market that favors large pecans. I did not see any problems with scab but Bill Goff had scab on trees in South Alabama.

2 Likes

As F_p indicates, Syrup Mill nuts are small - first crop here, so I’m hoping they’ll size up as the tree gets a little more age on it - they’re small compared to almost all of my northern/midwestern varieties… comparable to Peruque in size, and it’s about as small a nut as I grow(intentionally). Kernel is bright, but it doesn’t crack out as well as many of my pecans, and I didn’t have a large enough ‘sample’ to really comment on flavor.
Vivipary (premature sprouting, while still on the tree) was a problem; no scab on this one here. yet. It may be a little bit late-maturing for my location, but I think it’ll be OK.

2 Likes

Syrup Mill is smaller than some others, but quality has been excellent for us. We harvested 14,000 lbs this year. Nuts were smaller due to weather during sizing in late June and July. Our grade was 62 nuts per pound and 48% kernel. While it is not considered a commercial grower nut, it has many good qualities. We have never sprayed for scab on Syrup Mill and and tree structure is excellent to withstand storms and ice. Kernel color is excellent being a very bright golden color. For us, Syrup Mill has been as excellent sheller yielding normally 80-85% halves. We sell halves as Jr Mammoths in retail. For small growers it is a very profitable nut because it is very low input and acceptance by the buying public and commercial shellers is excellent. We retail for $4 per lb in the shell and $4 per point for the balance that was wholesaled this year. We got $4.85 per point in 2017 for nuts that were 57 per pound and 50% kernel. Prices are being down due to Chinese tariffs negative effects on the market. Like all pecans soil type, fertilization, mineral applications, lime, etc. can effect quality and size of pecans.

3 Likes

My fiancee just brought over

from her neighbours yard.

2 Likes

Suppose those are Pawnee?

Dax

I dunno, but Stuart is widely planted down here.

Here is another view.

2 Likes

Pawnee

Here are some cool pics of graft lines. These were taken at my in-laws house.

7 Likes

That’s killer, suppa cool.

Dax

1 Like

I have Bean and there is probably no way it will ripen here.

You have quite the collection. It’ll be worth propagating to sell… that’s for sure!

Dax

That tree is way too old to be Pawnee. Looks like Forkert to me.

1 Like

Two different things, Darrel. The tree is at David’s in-laws. The nut is from his Fiancee’s neighbor’s yard. I think David would’ve mentioned if the nut and tree were related for lack of a better word.

Dax

1 Like

Figured that out Dax. But the nut still looks like Forkert.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know, so thank you. I’m sure David appreciate’s it, too.

Dax

1 Like

I agree the kernels look like Forkert. Took a look at both in Wes’ book. I cracked a lot of Pawnee last winter and my memory of the kernel was bubbly like that on the side of the kernel. Clearly not from Wes’ photo of Pawnee but clearly yes from Wes’ photo of Forkert.

Dax

1 Like